190e Buying Advice (or other recommendations)

OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Website
www.totallyskint.com
stwat said:
Im sure youl find a 2.6 is about the same as the 2.0 to insure mate. Thats what i found out recently anyway.(2.6 will be mine in the near future :)) Baisicly, no one wants to nick a 190 full stop.... Unless its a cosworth or EVO the insurance company's see the 190 as a low risk car :)

It cost me less to insure my 190e 2.0 then it did my previous volvo 440!!!???!!!! Which was 4 years younger than the merc!!!!!

And yes,,,,, i do hang my head in shame for owning the volvo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu

Stu, I hate you! But love you too. I never thought of buying a 2.6l...
After doing a bit of research, I came across a 190e 2.6, 1990 H for £995. After not very much haggling, I've come away with a beast of a motor for £950, and couldn't be happier. Just bought it last night, it's done 130,000 miles, but looks and runs as sweet as you like. Did I overpay?

Anyway, I'm well happy, and my insurance (after crash, and down to 1 yrs no-claims) came to a total of £60 over the cost of insuring a Fiesta for the next 6 months. Cheers for the advice!

I met my new best friend "petrol pump" yesterday, and handed him £53 in return for some of his high octane goodness... :D

Last edited:

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 avantgarde SE Estate
Nice one Huddy - get some pics up in the gallery !

Chris

Just noticed your in Manchester - im not far away - if you want to buy either some 15" AMG's or some 17" alessios for a 190 let me know (cheeky I know but what the hell !!)

OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Website
www.totallyskint.com
Modding is a slippery slope, on which I don't want to embark! What size wheels has mine got at the moment?

I parked it in the expensive car park next to my work today so I can look at it out of my window! Sad or what?

Where's the best place to get some new rear speakers, don't need anything too kickass, the head unit's an old sony multichanger one. The old speakers are blown. Budget?

c13tay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 avantgarde SE Estate
If standard they will be either 15 or possibly 16

OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Website
www.totallyskint.com
Wouldn't mind some new ones if they're the same size - I don't want to spend money on new boots for no reason. Can't wait to finish work and drive somewhere...

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Please dont hate me huddy!!!!!!!!! LOL

Nice one on your new purchace mate :lol: Sounds like a nice motor, and a fair price for a 2.6. whats the spec on the car? Ie is it auto, does it have lecky windows, roof,ABS, ect ect?

(Edit) Ignore the Q;s on specs, i just seen your post on 190.com. Very nice purchace mate!!! ;-) (Edit)

You'l have to become a regular on the mercedes190.com now mate ;)

Nice one,
Stu

Last edited:

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
stwat said:
Please dont hate me huddy!!!!!!!!! LOL

Nice one on your new purchace mate :lol: Sounds like a nice motor, and a fair price for a 2.6. whats the spec on the car? Ie is it auto, does it have lecky windows, roof,ABS, ect ect?

(Edit) Ignore the Q;s on specs, i just seen your post on 190.com. Very nice purchace mate!!! ;-) (Edit)

You'l have to become a regular on the mercedes190.com now mate ;)

Nice one,
Stu

providing you do that after you have been on here

OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Website
www.totallyskint.com
Oooh, fighting over the newbie! :D Makes a change from most fora, where the new person gets sacred off!

Some photos if you're interested.

From zero knowledge about a Mercedes 190 to owning one in less than a week!

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDi Sport&R172 SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Good luck to you Huddy-The 'black beast' with her 2.6 lump looks like gem, and all for less than a grand too....whaaa hoooo. I do what you mean about the 'scallies' in Manc...went there with my partner and a mate last summer, stayed in the Holiday Inn @ Salford quays and spent Friday and Saturday nights trollied in the City....Fab clubs....enjoy your new toy.....you named her yet?

OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Website
www.totallyskint.com
Ha! I always thought it was only 19 year old girls that gave their cars names?

Anyway, as it happens she's called "Mercedes"! Not quite as straight forward as you think... my girlfriend thought that Mercedes' were Spanish, as you get lots of Spanish girls called "Mercedes", so she's called that, but pronnounced like the Spanish, "mer-thed-eth".

Well, you did ask! :grin:

Alro

Reaction score
Hi Huddy, don't be put off by the 1.8 as opposed to the 2.0 engine. My 1.8 manual is still going strong (Just waiting for fitting of a new water pump, £40.00 GSF. hasn't completely failed.....yet) I seem to recall the 1.8 is an insurance group lower than the 2.0 so that could save you a few quid.
Personally, I'm not one for toys, the 190E I have is bog standard with electric sunroof, front windows and passenger mirror only, so less stuff to go wrong.
Good luck with whatever 190E you choose. One thing is for certain, the build quality of the 190 is superb with a vitually indestructible chassis, and always check main dealer prices for spares you might be pleasantly surprised, even exhaust parts, although some things can be 2-3 times dearer than GSF or Euro.

Cheers,

Al.

OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Website
www.totallyskint.com
Er, thanks for the advice, mate, but I've already bought a 2.6l!

Just took it on it's first long-distance run-out, I'll have to figure out the MPG when I next fill up!

Alro

Reaction score
Errr.. Yeah sorry about that Huddy, haven't quite got the hang of this discussion board yet hence the miss-timed advice.
Looks fine from the pics. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Al.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom