1983 280te ---exhaust argh!

ridgie74

Reaction score
hi there

have just found the site - great! I have been trying to solve a problem. maybe you guys can share your wisdom. I've a 1983 280te, which sounds like a tractor. Under the bonnet, the front 3 cylinders have their own exhaust manifold, and where the three pipes meet, there is a bolted on circular looking device with a tube running from it. this thing is rusted, and holed, causing the noise. A haynes manual doesnt tell me what it is, and isnt even featured. What does it do? If I removed it and bolted a plate over the resulting hole in the manifold, would it make any difference?

thanks in advance for any tips or help and advice.

rich

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
ridgie74 said:
hi there

have just found the site - great! I have been trying to solve a problem. maybe you guys can share your wisdom. I've a 1983 280te, which sounds like a tractor. Under the bonnet, the front 3 cylinders have their own exhaust manifold, and where the three pipes meet, there is a bolted on circular looking device with a tube running from it. this thing is rusted, and holed, causing the noise. A haynes manual doesnt tell me what it is, and isnt even featured. What does it do? If I removed it and bolted a plate over the resulting hole in the manifold, would it make any difference?

thanks in advance for any tips or help and advice.

rich
If the tube goes back to the inlet manifold or a little vacuam controled box, it should be your EGR valve.

Malcolm

OP
R

ridgie74

Reaction score
thanks, a tube does come out. can I remove it? was thinking of trying to do without, and fixing a plate across to close the resulting hole.

OP
R

ridgie74

Reaction score
thanks, a tube does come out. can I remove it? was thinking of trying to do without, and fixing a plate across to close the resulting hole.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I am sure I have done one of these before. From memory, I made a plate from thin steel the same as the gasket and popped it into place leaving the egr valve over the top, to save blanking off the pipe to manifold. It will not make an appreciable difference to your cars running. It is really there to help emissions, mainly in the warm up phase. If you have a hole already, the difffence to the environment will be negligable!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just to go a bit further than Uncle Benz, the EGR valve open under very light cruising, passing some of the exhaust fumes back into the engine, take it off. when these things go faulty they stick partly open, causing a rough idle.

Malcolm

Top Bottom