1984 190e advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kav from aus

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 1984 190e, with 224k km, auto. I've owned BMW's all my life and know nothing about MB , hope you guys can help me avoid any melons......this car has been sitting at a dealer for almost a year, when I first checked it, i thought the oil looked milky, so I wasn't really interested, 3 months later I came back to it, the oil looked fine this time, looked black and old but not milky. the starter motor was stuffed, but after finally starting, it drove like a dream.

there are no records of any work on the timing chain,the A/C system has been rebuilt, the gearbox been rebuild, no papers on any engine work. what do you guys think? I;m a bit worried about the possibility of a head gasket problem. another thing even though its a 190e its a carby model, thought all 'e' were fuel injected...... if I had to do the head on it , is it a big job? thank you for reading this, if it sounds pretty stupid please excuse me.

B

bluefish

cylinder head 190e

I'm in the process of replacing the head gasket on my 190e 1984 merc. So far it's an enjoyable project although as yet I don't know if the gasket is gone or if its the head. All I can say at the moment is a gasket is £25 which should give me another 150k miles from a total of 20 man hours.

Does the car you're looking at buying have any oil in the water resevoir, does start first time from ESPECIALLY form cold, is there any obvious loss of compression. Is the engine extremely clean as though is been jet washed to hid any leaks.

On any 190 always check for rust in the bottom corners of the rear wind screen. The drivers seat will always be worn on a car that age as well but niether problem should stop you buying one of MB best ever production cars

Hope this helps

OP
K

kav from aus

Reaction score
head gasket

The water does look a bit milky, specially when you press the top radiator hose, the water coming in to the resevoir looks white. As regarding the cleanliness of the engine it does'nt look "washed" . there is a bit of oil around the oil filler cap. but if this car has been run with the head gasket problem will it destroy the whole engine?

landrover

Banned
Reaction score
cracked head

20 hours to do a head gasket .you can steal a merc & reshell it in less time if it takes 20 hrs to do a head gasket how long does it take you to have a s**t because i think you are passing it out your mouth. :p :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom