1987 300D Turbo Diesel ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesium

Reaction score
I bought my 300D about 7 months ago and have a few questions. It seems to me that most of these cars have similar minor glithes that I'm hoping someone out there can help me with.

1. Where can I find the block heater?
2. My cruise control doesn't work and I can't find a fuse, is there one?
3. My drivers side power seat rarely works is there a way to fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm hoping I can talk with someone that owns one of these fine cars about a few other questions I have.

Kris

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Glitches

Kris

Block heater:
I assume you're referring to glow plugs here. The engine has 6 glow plugs to pre-heat the engine to allow it to start easily when cold. They're low down, under the inlet manifold and are nearly horizontal. They each have a nut locating a power feed cable. They like to snap when you try to remove them so leave glow plug removal to an expert!

If the glow plug warning light is coming on after the engine starts than it's signalling there is a glow plug fault. You'll probably have very lumpy idling after starting too. You can test the plugs by removing the feed cable from the glow plug relay (right hand side of the engine bay) and using a wire direct from the battery to flash each plug feed in turn. The six pins on the plug correspond to the six glow plugs. Working plugs will spark as you put a live on them and bad plugs won't

Cruise Control;
Having cruise that works is a bonus - typically it doesn't. Trace back wiring and check the key on the underside of the fuse box lid for a clue on the electrical side. I wouldn't immediately suspect an electrical fault if it doesn't work

Power seats:
If these work intermittently it's probably a broken wire. This is common with doors & tailgates on older cars. I'd hold the switch down and manipulate the loom to see if it kicks into life. If it does, cut back the loom either side of the bit that's damaged and replace it. It can be difficult to find broken wires as the insulation holds the broken ends in place. If you find one broken wire rest assured there will be others!

Good luck!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
M

mesium

Reaction score
Nick,

Thanks for the help.
The block heater I'm referring to is used when it is really cold. I plugs into an outlet. I've heard the 1987 300D came standard with this feature, but I'm not sure where it's located. Can anyone tell me where I should look

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Block heater

Kris

Re Block heater:
I don't think this was standard. In fact I don't think there ever was a "standard" spec with W124s because I've never seen two the same

The options list must have run to many pages because some of the options were wierd and wonderful. My favourites are the snow chain switch (unfortunately this didn't cause the tyres to automagically sprout snow chains - they're still working on that) and the full-length steel sump guard

My 1987 250TD doesn't have a block heater. The closest thing I know is a Kenlowe Hot Start - it works really well and I recommend it. You plumb it into the heater hose, connect it up to the mains & set a timer

Kenlowe pre heaters
http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/pre-heaters/cars/index.html

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Geoff_Slade

Reaction score
According to my manual there is a supplementary heater available as an extra. If you've got this fitted the switch will be on the console in front of the gear lever. It works off the battery and heats the engine coolant up and can be programmed to switch on automatically looks like its only available on left hand drive cars so there's a possibility that yours might have it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom