1993 220TE workshop manual/data

Casual Traveller

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 220TE

Greetings.
I have just bought a 1993 220TE which I must say is impressive. I have been trying to find a workshop manual and Haynes does not seem to cover the 220TE.

I did buy the WIS from ebay but could not get it to install on my system. From what I saw it looked very good and many people have bought it and are pleased.

Can anyone recommend a manual, either paper or digital that covers the 220TE.

It seems the 220TE is not so common. Can anyone talk me through the 220TE history. My car was first registered in September 1993 and is an "L" reg.
I gather there were some changes about that time and I would like to know exactly what I have got.

I am new to Mercedes but have admired the W124 estate for years and decided to take the plunge. I would greatly appreciate any help and advice on the above and whether there are any specific areas to check to ensure reliability as I drive to Europe quite often. The car has covered 130,000 miles.

Many thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Casual Traveller said:

Greetings.
I have just bought a 1993 220TE which I must say is impressive. I have been trying to find a workshop manual and Haynes does not seem to cover the 220TE.

I did buy the WIS from ebay but could not get it to install on my system. From what I saw it looked very good and many people have bought it and are pleased.

Can anyone recommend a manual, either paper or digital that covers the 220TE.

It seems the 220TE is not so common. Can anyone talk me through the 220TE history. My car was first registered in September 1993 and is an "L" reg.
I gather there were some changes about that time and I would like to know exactly what I have got.

I am new to Mercedes but have admired the W124 estate for years and decided to take the plunge. I would greatly appreciate any help and advice on the above and whether there are any specific areas to check to ensure reliability as I drive to Europe quite often. The car has covered 130,000 miles.

Many thanks.
For a start, if you put your VIN number all 17 including WDB you can get the spec of your car when it left the factory

http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Casual Traveller said:
Should read "found the original spec".

Graham.

Is that half a pair of glasses :confused: :p or would that be a monacle ? :cool:

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
A 220TE is an E220 with the old-style grille, bumpers & etc. It's what I call a half-facelift car and there aren't many around. There's more info on my website - there are a few errors there but most is correct!

So essentially it's a later-spec car with the older body styling. The 220 is probably a better engine than the 230 so you're ahead there

The Haynes manual is pretty poor but covers the basics. The info on electrical systems is pretty inaccurate and there are some surprising omissions, probably because the manual is based on a very early car. The American-market CDs you can buy on eBay are OK but don't directly cover that model as the 4-cylinder cars weren't sold there

If the car has little or no history I'd recommend changing the gearbox oil & filter asap, replacing the front antiroll bar bushes and checking the front springs (they tend to break) and the front balljoints (they tend to wear out). Gearbox oil is a good precaution, ARB bushes always need replacing at some point, are cheap and transform the way the car feels, and broken springs & worn balljoints are safety issues. None of this expensive

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
C

Casual Traveller

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 220TE
Nick,

Thanks very much for the info, it explains a lot.

As far as needing a workshop manual, I guess one for the 230TE would cover most things apart from engine and gearbox?

Since the car is rare does this enhance the value, or decrease it?

Many thanks, Graham.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom