1998 VITO w638 petrol 2.3 litre

solidbloke

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO w638 1998 petrol 114
Hello,

New here.

I bought one of the above which has been converted into a camper van, so not something I want to scrap but I have been tempted.

My van in a Japanese import auto transmission, and also there's some issue with comms so the OBD doesn't read - all of which complicates matters.

My problem is twofold: ABS light is on more or less continuously which is an MOT fail, and secondly after driving for a while, the gears seem to shift ratio - I don't think it's limp mode but it may be. Still drives, but just takes more revs for the gears to change, and doesn't feel good

I'm told that the gear issue is wiring/ electrical, on the basis that if the engine is stopped and restarted the problem goes away (although I'm not convinced by this having driven through the highlands recently) but I've also asked the garage to flush the ATS and put in new filter and oil.

I've also had the garage look at the ABS issue, and he tells me he's done all the obvious stuff (checked the sensors/ replaced the ABS pump etc) but still not resolved. Again he tells me its most likely wiring/ electrical.

He goes on to say that it could just be one wire that's causing all the problems, and I think the approach he's taking is to 'reverse engineer' the wiring.

However, I've had the van in his garage for 3 separate periods of a month now and apparently still no nearer resolution. Part of my problem is that he seems to treat my van like a project and isn't giving it focus. I talk to other mechanics to see what there opinions are but my garage chap generally shoots me down in flames (I'm no mechanic - I'm just desperate to get it all fixed and probably clutching at straws), when I pass on suggestions.

Does anyone on this forum have ANY insights as to a possible approach to solving other the above, or does anyone know anyone in the Edinburgh area who'd be willing to take a look??

Pootle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito W638 Camper /1999/ 2.3 Petrol (German Factory Conversion & Import from Hong Kong in 2015)
Sounds like the transmission problem might be something to do with the driving modes - these have a 'Sport' and 'Winter' mode in addition to standard driving. Possibly a clean up of the switchgear on the dash might help. Plus reseating the relevant units in the fuse box, and yes, of course, flushing the ATM fluid.

I know it is a couple of years ago, and I'm only really responding to test my own insights for when I recommission my own W638 petrol (Hong Kong import with auto box). If you've still got yours do drop a line and we can compare notes :)

All the best!

Martin

JillH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito w638 japan
Hi - I have a Vito w638 Japanese import with similar issues - and response at the garage as you.

I know its some time ago but did you get it sorted, and did you have any wiring diagrams for the van? I'm trying to find some but because its an import I'm struggling.

Thanks

J

OP
S

solidbloke

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi - I have a Vito w638 Japanese import with similar issues - and response at the garage as you.

I know its some time ago but did you get it sorted, and did you have any wiring diagrams for the van? I'm trying to find some but because its an import I'm struggling.

Thanks

J
The ABS issue turned out to be rusted rings. The garage I took it to originally that prompted the original post was completely useless. I had to get new front diffs installed the ABS rings don’t come by themselves. All sorted now though and have been running with no abs issues for some time. No wiring diagrams unfortunately

Last edited:
OP
S

solidbloke

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like the transmission problem might be something to do with the driving modes - these have a 'Sport' and 'Winter' mode in addition to standard driving. Possibly a clean up of the switchgear on the dash might help. Plus reseating the relevant units in the fuse box, and yes, of course, flushing the ATM fluid.

I know it is a couple of years ago, and I'm only really responding to test my own insights for when I recommission my own W638 petrol (Hong Kong import with auto box). If you've still got yours do drop a line and we can compare notes :)

All the best!

Martin
Hi Martin,

I do still have it - persevering with it. It’s been running fine until today, but not before I had a heap of work done on it - including new head gasket ( ouch). Today I had some auto gearbox issues - kept going into limp mode with red gear box light on dash first time this has happened in ages. I’m hoping it was just damp in the electrics. I drove it home just now and it was fine but it’s hairy when it happens. Yes let’s compare notes. They’re a bugger when they go wrong

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom