2010 E350 Estate Back from a B service

indo247

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 08 220 cdi estate amg sport
my e class has been in for a B service today, and they have said the dust covers on the front shocks are perished and the quoted £280 to repair.
Is it possible to do these as a DIY?
I had to pump the suspension right up on the airmatic to see, they called them bellows and they just look like covers to keep dust out.
i suspect they have been like it a while maybe since the last A service
Any info appreciated

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the bellows themselves are exactly as you describe, dust covers. on normal shocks, id not bother doing anything with them personally (although it is pretty poor for them to have failed on such a relatively 'new' car) however, if it has airmatic on the front, I might be tempted to be a bit more cautious. it is possible, if dirt gets into the seals that the seals will wear and fail prematurely. obviously its less of an issue on normal shocks (theyre cheaper etc)

OP
I

indo247

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 08 220 cdi estate amg sport
thanks, i do have airmatic i asked the tec if it was urgent and he said i would get them done in a month, as i am away for 2 weeks on holiday.
when the car is at normal height you can't even see them, it's only when the airmatic pumps right up.
280 sounded a bit steep! i'm guessing mostly labour as the rubbers look fairly cheap.

Top Bottom