280 or 230k

gagzy

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a merc because my "darling bird" has kicked off about my new car and the fact that she can't get the baby seat in the back of my NISSAN SKYLINE GTS 25T. "We need a saloon" she says, so i am thinking of getting a c280. Looks like it has the power but is well short of skyline performance. I have thought about a c230 kompressor but i think i will go for the 280. Can anyone give some pointers on what to look for, is the 280 better than the 230. Please help, getting mega ear ache from you know who

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

Firstly welcome to the forum.

I had a C230K for about 3 years and loved it, some people say the engine is rough compared to the 6 cylinder 280 and it probably is. I liked it for the grunt, economy and reliability, have not driven a 280 but i would def recommend the 230K

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
C230K or C280

Hi gagzy

I currently own a C-class 2.3L Kompessor and agree with '230K'. The 230/4 is probably rougher than the 280/6 but never having driven the latter it's not possible to give a definitive answer. Hopefully a C280 owner will respond and confirm the question of refinement but they may not have driven a C230K for comparison purposes.

I like the C230K because the supercharger gives it the kind of grunt you might expect from a larger diesel engine car of around 2.5L capacity. Maximum torque is available at a low 2700rpm (about 70mph in top) and it is a fine, relaxed, autobahn cruiser with overtaking power when and where you most need it. It's fine around town too.

The C230K is no revver, the readline is around 5700rpm. Treat it as a limo' with performance to spare. I regularly achieve 30 to 34mpg although the 'book' says 38mpg maximum. Quite possibly, on a long journey. I'm experimenting with super fuels at the moment and I am encountering significant mpg gains with Shell Optimax. The C230K need not be a fuel guzzler although with a supercharger the potential is always there. Insurance is cheap too. I'm with the MBOA. See their home page.

I've sat in a C280 and it looks little different from its blown cousin. I dare say that overall performance is broadly similar. Whether fuel consumption suffers because it's a bigger engine I cannot say. A 6-cylinder ought to be smoother than a 4 but does that really matter, especially if you are used to driving a Skyline? The C230K is the smoothest 4 I have ever driven so the question of refinement is a relative one.

A bigger issue might be whether you go for manual or automatic. If you are thinking about a manual car, check out the curious foot-operated handbrake employed by MB. It's not to everyones liking. I went for an automatic model because the foot-operated handbrake takes quite a bit of skill. I do not regret that decision because the blown engine is well matched to the gearbox.

REGARDS Phil

Benz-Lover

Reaction score
gagzy said:
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a merc because my "darling bird" has kicked off about my new car and the fact that she can't get the baby seat in the back of my NISSAN SKYLINE GTS 25T. "We need a saloon" she says, so i am thinking of getting a c280. Looks like it has the power but is well short of skyline performance. I have thought about a c230 kompressor but i think i will go for the 280. Can anyone give some pointers on what to look for, is the 280 better than the 230. Please help, getting mega ear ache from you know who

ihave to say mate...i used to have a GTS and i was impressed with the C200

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
I have a 1995 C280 Elegance and bought it nearly 2 yrs ago from my daughter's father-in-law when he was buying a brand-new C230K. He now complains that he preferred the 6 cyl engine in the C280, and the gearbox too (both autos). He wishes he had bought a 6 cyl version rather than the one he did buy. I love my C280. It has plenty of oomph and returns 27 mpg overall. I only paid £2500 so as a bonus depreciation is neglible. Road tax is £175 pa.
Regards, Ron

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
1994 c280 straight 6

smoother than a baby's bottom, goes like a bat out of hell if you push it. about 7.5 to 60, not that I'vev ever tried. Get one in sport spec and you'll have the stiffer springs to remind you of your skyline.
Abroad, I get 33+ at about 100mph

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom