300TE 4Matic faults

Indefatigable

Reaction score
HELLO MB UK Members.
I wonder if anyone could help me with some faults on my 300TE 4Matic that i have just bought.
The story goes as follows.
The 4Matic light was on all the time when i bought the car,the owner said that he had the car checked out and it was the front left abs sensor.I bought the car quite cheap and drove home.
Over the past few days i have been looking for info about these cars on various MB forums.Some help recieved but not much.I have since found that the ABS warning light had been removed and also the six pin relay on top of the ABS unit( NOT A VERY NICE MAN:mad: ).I have removed both front sensors and cleaned the rotors and sensors,replaced the warning light and relay on the ABS.
On the first position on the ignition key all lights came on,on start up all lights went out (good).but as soon as i started to drive the Yellow triangle light came on, i increased road speed up to 18/20 m.p.h.and the light went out( i thought good),i then used the brakes and the ABS came in very irratic.some times the brake pedal went very stiff and little to no brake effect.
An article that i have read says that the car always starts off in 4 wheel mode,but on another site they said that this happens but the Yellow triangle light does not come on.
Is the Yellow light telling me that the car is going into mode 2 or 3 do you think?
If so do you think it might be the rear axle sensor?
I hope you can make sense of my discription of faults.also i am told there is a test point X11 that you can use to gain access to the fault memory in the 4Matic box,But have been unable to find it:confused:
If you could offer any advice i would be most greatfull.
Yours Hopefully.
Richard Smith ( Deryshire)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom