350 CDI engine - pre and post facelift

6cyl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI
Hi,
I know the original 350CDI is rated at 231ps and the facelift (>2011) rated at 265ps.

What are the differences in the two engines ? Are there any physical changes ? Or is it software differences ?

What are they like in terms of tuning and potential ?

Thanks
6c

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Both have excellent tuning potential! The differences are injectors, Turbo and head. The 231bhp model has gains of 45-50 bhp and 95-100nm of torque, the 265 bhp we have given an extra 55-60bhp and 125-130nm of torque however a project vehicle we have posted on the forum before with the 265bhp engine made 325bhp and 800nm of torque and the vehicle had no engine modifications at all!!! It was even still running with the DPF still in.

Regards

Anthony @ GAD

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Yes that's correct! I seem to remember them having 360 thrust bearings if memory serves?!?!

Regards

Anthony @ GAD

OP

6cyl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI
injectors, Turbo and head. The 231bhp model has gains of 45-50 bhp and 95-100nm of torque, the 265 bhp we have given an extra 55-60bhp and 125-130nm of torque however a project vehicle we have posted on the forum before with the 265bhp engine made 325bhp and 800nm of torque and the vehicle had no engine modifications at all!!! It was even still running with the DPF still in.

Regards

Anthony @ GAD

Sounds very interesting, thank you for your input Anthony.

Has anyone on this forum fitted one of those plugin interceptor boxes?
I'd like to hear your experiences. I understand there are extra complications with flashing the ecu over the obd port on these cars. My own experience of them on a pre-dpf TDI is that they result in too much smoke.
6c

OP

6cyl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI
265bhp car has a ball bearing turbo, my mechanic seemed very enthusiastic about this as they are more reliable

BB turbos ? They're highly regarded in tuning circles for being more reliable and more tolerant of high power applications, with everything else being equal.

May be I should've waited for the 265ps version!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom