500 SEC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

StewartH

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New bloke here. I currently own a 3 year old Alfa GTV which, although fun to drive, has its share of niggly faults that I wouldn't expect to find on a newish car. So I did a little reverse psychology and decided to buy myself a car that I do expect to have faults with (but not too many)!

Anyway I'm thinking of buying a 500 SEC and have a few questions.

1. Are there differing models in the 500 SEC range? Looking on autotrader.co.uk some were definitely lower with AMG style alloys etc. Are these just options/mods?

2. Looks like a good one can be picked up for £5K or so? I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of sting question" but realistically how much am I likely to have to spend on it over say 3 years.

3. Although I don't expect it to be flawless I do need it to get me to work in the morning. Generally how reliable are these cars?

4. Is mileage a concern? If so what top end should I be looking at?

5. Any other advice/good web sites would be much appreciated. At the moment I know very little about these creatures, other than what I've read on this site!

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm Brown

Reaction score
Website
www.******************.co.uk
1. AMG did bodykits, lowering, wheels, and engine mods. See this month's Mercedes Enthusiast for an article. Also other tuners may have done something - but basically, there's one model of base car, with a facelift and detail changes in 1985,
2. Should get one for £5k but probably need to pay slightly more for a spotless example. Can't help with running costs.
3. Very reliable if it has been looked after.
4. High mileage should not be a problem provided it has good service history. But I'd go for the latest I could find, personally.

OP
S

StewartH

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm begin to get my head round this car. I've noticed the term 'AMG Widebody' mentioned here and there on other sites/galleries. What is this? Can it be bought and added to a standard SEC?

Excuse the ignorance - I know nothing about mercs (yet).

talbir

Reaction score
BE VERY wary of Widebody SEC's - NONE of these cars were factory, all aftermarket. Remember, back in those days, AMG was NOT part of MB. All widebodies and AMG mods/engine/wheels etc were aftermarket.

When buying, don't be tempted by good looks - it may be a real pig n waiting. You really need to do a full check - body, engine, gearbox, suspension etc. These cars are reaching the age where these components are reaching the end of their innings and need replacing. Parts on these are as costly as on the current MB crop of cars.

In summary, buy a late 560SEC (post 88) - they have the latest options, better interiors (higher power seat heaters, folded leather door inserts, etc etc) and likely to be cheaper in the long run. I would set aside a budget of at least 7k to allow for any changes/repairs/mods etc. Definitely do not go for a project car - it will cost double what it's worth.

mercmush

Reaction score
SEC

I would certainly go along with all the advice already given except that I would also thoroughly recommend that you check the car for dampness as that pillarless construction brings problems all of its own. Also check under all wheelarches, both front doors and very carefully in the boot for rust. I don't care what anyone says those W126 S class Benzes had/have a rust problem.

I had a 500SEC for 5+ years and it only broke down once because of the fuel pump relay which the AA man easily soldered at the roadside thereby curing the dry joint.

I would avoid all silly body kits, spoilers, blacked out windows, bling bling alloys etc etc. I would also go along with Talbir and look for a recent car which means a 420, 500 or 560 SEC from about 90/91. If you want to run the car daily for work you could find the 560 thirsty. The last 500SEC is a good bet as it still has 265 bhp which is more than its previous incarnations. Mail me if you want more info.

Mush

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom