'92 300TD starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Lambert

Reaction score
When starting my '92 300TD from cold (1st start of the day) it sometimes fires up then dies immediately. Subsequent cranking (possibly 30 secs total) WILL get the engine to fire up and then all is well for the rest of the day. No pedals are touched during the initial start up when it dies by itself, but a touch of throttle during the subsequent cranking does help. I've changed the glow pugs but the problem is still there. Sound like fuel now ?  
Any ideas please as to where to target next ?

Andy Cottrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300D 1994 Diesel
Hi,

It certainly sounds like you are getting air into your fuel pump somewhere. Have you changed fuel filters recently ? I've put grease around all the joints in the fuel lines (from the tank all the way to the fuel pump) in the past to stop a problem similar to this.
Hope this is of some help.

OP
G

Graham Lambert

Reaction score
Yes the fuel filter was changed recently. Unfortunately the defect was there prior to the filter change also. I do however agree that it sounds like air in the fuel line. I'll have a thorough check, but without an obvious weeping sign its going to be tough to locate !  Could it be the fuel pump / fuel control system itself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom