ABS cuts in after new shocks put in.

mike65

Reaction score
Website
www.futuremusiccorp.net
The ABS is cutting in at very low speed then "releasing" just as I come to a halt. The shocks were changed earlier today (not by me), might this be as simple as a dirty sensor caused by the taking the brakes off the hub etc prior to the dampers being fitted? The ABS light does'nt come on.

Mike.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The ABS is cutting in at very low speed then "releasing" just as I come to a halt. The shocks were changed earlier today (not by me), might this be as simple as a dirty sensor caused by the taking the brakes off the hub etc prior to the dampers being fitted? The ABS light does'nt come on.

Mike.

Are you sure mike that it is the ABS cutting in, and that its not some other vibration.

w124nut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 cabriolet 1994 E320
If it is the ABS, you will feel it activating through the brake pedal. Was the work done by a Merc garage or independant?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
what MB model is it, changing the shocks is a simple task on a MB that wouldn't require the brakes to be removed.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cannot see the connection in the ABS pump and the shocks

OP
mike65

mike65

Reaction score
Website
www.futuremusiccorp.net
Sorry I drive an Audi (see sig), but I thought I'd just post to get some feedback, on the A6 you have to remove lots of stuff to install dampers.

Mike.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I drive an Audi (see sig), but I thought I'd just post to get some feedback, on the A6 you have to remove lots of stuff to install dampers.

Mike.

Hi Mike, the sensors on the wheels should have nothing to do with it,you probably have a separate speed sensor, but I do not know audis, so this just leaves the ABS pump, if its mounted near the top of the wing, could this have been disturbed whilst doing the shocks.

OP
mike65

mike65

Reaction score
Website
www.futuremusiccorp.net
Thanks Malcolm, the speed sensor sounds like a plausible culprit.

The Haynes manual does'nt cover ABS (take it to dealer blaa blaa blaa) but the schematic wiring diagrams shows wire from speed sensor to brake fluid sensor unit.

from autospeed.com article
As you may be aware, a vehicle’s ABS monitors the rotational speed of each wheel and can identify when a wheel is locked during hard braking. When a locked wheel is identified, the ABS module releases some hydraulic pressure applied to the brake of that particular wheel. This allows the wheel to turn and, as a result, adhesion and control are regained.

The Haynes does say the sensors need to be removed when the caliper assembly is pulled clear of the action.

Mike.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do Audis have any system like the BAS we have on the MBs this being the case there would be an extra sensor for this. if there are only the wheel sensors then if one was not quite pushed home, could this do it,hard to say, anyway the car was fine before the shocks went on.

I also note that its speed related and happens at low MPH, so something is reading wrong, that only leaves a sensor dirty or not quite home.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Proberly was'nt pushed fully back in. I'll drop it back for the chap to check on Friday.

Mike.
Just for the record it is much harder to count low speeds than high, due to gaps in the count rate. and things like noise can get in on the cables and sensors, it could be that one is not sitting square.

willum

Reaction score
Aaaaaaahhhhh.

I'll be very interested to see the outcome of this. Mine's ('96 E300D) doing exactly the same trick as I come to a standstill............ and the ABS light comes on if I get up to or over *)mph. Goes off again if the ignition is cycled on/off

Will

OP
mike65

mike65

Reaction score
Website
www.futuremusiccorp.net
Right got the ABS checked, the chaps at Audi or rather thier code reader says - rear speed sensor shot! The price of a new one for an A6 C4 chassis is a fupping fortune so I'll be looking for a dismantlers example.

Mike.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom