ABS system failure

fazer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Could someone please be kind enought to share their views on the latest problem with my E320 - V-reg with about 75K on the clock.

Sudden brake fluid loss over a 24 hour period - obvious leakage from around the ABS unit. Independent garage doing their best to repair it but aren't hopefull as the unit is sealed. Cost new about £700 ! then registration (coding) with Mercedes at £97.

After approaching the mechanic, he said that he has never known such a fault - electrical yes, but not "mecahnical" like this.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or have I ammunition to approach Mercedes and start fighting them for some recompense?

Thanks in anticipation.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry I have never known this, I will do a double check later

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Mine did that at 65k. And I know of more cases. Mine went on motorway and a soft brake pedal to the floor on the M42M6 on Friday afternoon is not a nice experience. I got a new ABS pump, full Mobilo claim which in fairness was honoured and a goodwill 50% discount on the new EBS pump. Problem was it failed again 5 months later and MB refused to help initially and then refused to stand over a 2 year warranty on the repair.

OP
F

fazer

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Olafmaxwell.

At least I now know that this is yet another W210-issue!

I like your statement "... Daren't change it for a new one.....a big part of it is 2005 at least." Same problem here; would love to change mine (for a BM!!) but have spent so much money on the dam thing I feel obliged to keep going for a while!

OP
F

fazer

Reaction score
... oops! Should have written that the mechanic managed to repair the unit so overall repair bill was half the expected price (if a new unit was needed).

For anyone in the South Wales area, I thoroughly recommend the independent "B&R Garage" in Cardiff. Have used them for years for both BMW and Volvo and they always deliver and the prices are good. As mentioned above, they managed to repair the ABS unit which I understand is no mean feat. So well done them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Congrats on that and for the useful link to a good indie

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
The thing I find most annoying about these things is how they can say they never had this problem before. When mine failed it was on the M42/M6 and the new ABS unit came from Milton Keynes and someone kept a record of it. I could not fault the service, Mobilo picked up a lot of travel expenses including two trips to Ireland because I had to leave the car after me for repairs. This ABS issue is known and is potentially dangerous, it leaves you with no brakes because it kills both circuits at the same time. By the time you get the warning, in my case anyway, the braking pressure was already gone

Many years back I had an unfortunate Ford Mondeo which had woeful non starting problems due to electrics and immobiliser/central locking faults. One day I happend to meet a friend on the street and we were discussing this problem [he also had one] when a third person came along [he also had one too...!!]. The third person mentioned this problem he was having and his dealer had told him that they had investigated the whole issue at the highest level and that there were only three similar cases in the whole of Europe. I pointed out how strange it was that here we were, in a little city of 184,000 people, on the edge of Europe with how many hundred million inhabitants we we were the three cases in the whole of Europe standing on the side of a street.....Hey presto three cars went back with a strong request to sort it out.....

OP
F

fazer

Reaction score
OlafMaxwell,

You say "the ABS issue is known ..." Are you referring to forum members or is the problem recognised by Mercedes themselves? If its a case of the latter, that will give me some ammunition to approach Mercedces.

Mercedes' stance is that because the car is old (!!?) components like this fail with use. My argument with Mercedes that ABS units are not particularly sophisticated compared to other areas in a car and such a vital component should last more than seven years is falling on deaf ears.

The wife was lucky to have some brakes left but this is a big car to attempt to stop.

Purely as a point of interest, I asked the mechanic whether the ABS part could be diverted (meaning restoring brake system but no ABS) which is possible but against the law. By all accounts, if a vehicle has ABS fitted as standard, then it must work - otherwise its illegal to drive.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom