ABS warning light only shows when lights are on! W124

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi
Now check all the bulbs on the car. Turn to sidelight position first, if it illuminates the bulb failure then obviously one or more of the sidelights have either failed or are of the incorrect wattage. From my experience it is nearly always the fronts as there are more permutations in wattages for these types of bulb either capless or bayonet to be incorrect.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have known prople to make up timer modules that turn the ABS lamp out within the correct time. All MOT stations have a chart giving the time out on these lamps for all of the different cars.

Pleased it is fixed. Malcolm

cyps

Reaction score
Just to put the matter to rest.

The ABS worked immediately the OVP fuse was replaced - thanks gents.

Some eager little beaver, having failed to fix the faulty ABS had taken out the dash, removed the ABS lamp and put the bulb failure holder in the ABS socket. Therefore to satisfy MOT, light comes on with ignition and goes out when the car starts. Hey presto!

But why did it light when the lights came on - it would only come on if there was a bulb failure - and there wasn't!!! I still dont know, and don't care, it's passed the MOT.

Once again, thanks for all the advice.

Try the number plate bulbs at the back i had this on my e320 for ages before i realised it was one of them did my head in for a while

124coupe

Reaction score
Yes, and remember it senses an imbalance in the current draw of each pair of lights - so a bad connection will do it even if the light is on....

kevin0477

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi, the solution to your problem is quite simple. If you remove both lighting
panels and check the bulbs it is likely you will find a caravan type bulb fitted
in one of the sockets in error.

A conventional car bulb has an earth through the casing and a contact on the
base for the supply. Caravans have bulbs with 2 contacts on the base, and the casing is inert. The other senrio is a stop and tail bulb in a sidelamp only socket. Both issues cause the problem you have encountered. The solution is fortunatly cheap to fix. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom