Advice on pre-1986 230/300CE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firsttimebuyer

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi all

Am considering getting my first Merc, which is also going to be my first car (though at 28 I'm not that young anymore...). The model I have in mind is an early to mid-80s 230CE or 280CE. They seem very affprdable at the moment, with apparently solid cars being offered for £3-4K. And I've found out that Norwich Union do pretty affordable policies for these kinds of cars.

As far as I know the quality of these cars is great, which is good as I'll be using it for long commutes (15-20K miles annually). My first question, then, is: can these cars take this kind of heavy (ab)use?

As for my second question, I was wondering about the mpg. I think I've heard someone say that a 280 is actually more economical than a 230 because it has a bigger engine and so has to work less hard. Is this true? And what is the effect of manual v. auto?

Incidentally, my commute is 85% motorway, which I suppose is very relevant for the mpg figure.

Oh, finally, if anyone knows of a web site with a buying advice for these Mercs then please let me know!

Tx a lot in advance for your advice!!

Magic Wand

Reaction score
I've been running a 1984 280CE auto for two years now. I've today got a new MOT for it, it just needed a spot of welding and a fuel pipe - total cost to get through this years' MOT = £134. That's a great result!

I do fairly big miles for a car this old (it's done 185k), about 10k-12k pa, about 50% of which is motorways. Unless I'm on a motorway, fuel consumption is nasty (200 miles out of £50 of fuel) but can get 300 miles from £50 on the motorway. Either way, it's no supermini diesel!

I love the car for it's looks and put up with all sorts of nonsense just for that. But I actually get very little nonsense: it's reliable, comfy, fast (once you've got some momentum up!) and it's sedate ride is good for me (I bought it after nearly killing myself in a Jap sports car). And while the fuel costs are high, the repair bills have not been (about £1500 over the two years), and of course depression just doesn't happen, if anything it may soon start going up in value!

Hope that is of use. Good luck in finding a good'un.

heckflosse

Reaction score
230CE specs

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...CE.1.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

280CE specs

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...pecs.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

I had a 230CE for about 8 years and I loved it, most reliable car I ever owned.
I would say however £4000 is too much to pay unless your looking for a concourse model.
For £4000 you could get a decent early W124 CE.
Or if your quick an excellent '94 E220 coupe for an extra £500 :D

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4223

Status
Not open for further replies.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom