Advice required please!

T8WBN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 / 2004 / 3.7
Hi All.
Firstly, great forum which has already provided me with so much advice, so thank you all!

I have a 2004 SL350, R230, 3.7. I inherited it, (2 weeks ago), and whilst it is no spring chicken, I love the car and for sentimental reasons I am keen to keep her on the road. I am use to working on cars, however this one is FULL of electrics and sensors, and until I can fork out for SDS, I am extra reliant on you helpful bunch.

She is mostly ok bar a few issues which I will list below. Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated.

1) When I unlock her, after the locks have popped, there is a whining which lasts for maybe 5 seconds. This same, (or very similar), noise sometimes comes on a slow speeds when turning. I was thinking initially serpentine belt, or something linked to the power steering, however the steering is tight with no play. On a thread here the secondary air compressor was mentioned, and that made me think if its using pneumatics to open the door locks, is it then slipping, or a bearing noise, when priming whatever small compressor there is in case I ask more of the pneumatics prior to start up. This noise is all prior to engine start... except when I am turning at slow speeds obviously. Any ideas?

2) Whilst I have only felt it once, there was grating/grinding through the brake pedal. Its not discs or pads, and there was no servo assist at the time as it was reverse at very slow speeds. My concern was transmission niggle, but it was only once. Any ideas?

3) Broken boot handle... well I think it is just a return spring. Either way, where do you fine folks based in the UK tend to go for small spares such as these. I am not having much luck online, and it seems only scrap yards would be the option. I cant really afford to go to a MB dealer for bits and bobs...thus saving for SDS.

4) I am one HID (dipped beam) down, and yesterday the other didn't power up. I ordered some cheap ballasts because its a fair job removing the lights and I felt it would be worth changing them anyway because a new bulb was not the solution. The new temperamental one, came back to life after I had stopped and restarted it.... but clearly its having a senior car moment... could it be something I am missing?

5) The last thing is a slight wobble from the rear, (felt in bum not hands), above 60mph. It does not really worsen with increased speed, but also does not go away. I was hoping just wheel balance however its new tyres and I know my uncle put it in for a wheel balance prior to it being handed down. My thoughts are on alignment, however just curious if tis is something that any of you have experienced and therefore what it may be.

Lastly... as I mentioned I am looking at SDS. Am I required when doing for example the brakes, to electronically wind back the pistons, or will a standard opening of the reservoir, and manual push back of the pistons do the job? I ask because I am not sure yet how the servo assist actually works, and it is really hard to find any workshop manuals, even paid for, or indeed any exploded diagrams.

This also leads me to add, does anyone know where I can purchase a workshop manual for this model?

Thank you all so much in advance... hope to hear from some of you.

Cheers, Will

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Hello and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Hi and welcome….

for Mercedes bits and bobs I would get in touch with the Mercedes parts counter in Newcastle, via their eBay account. The right part at a fair price, often other makers parts cause problems or don’t quite fit..
as for diagnostic's, whilst saving for your SDS, you could look for an iCarsoft MB2 to help you out. just mho..

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

There is a thread on this forum called ‘Living with an R230’ which will be helpful

OP
T

T8WBN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 / 2004 / 3.7
Hi and welcome….

for Mercedes bits and bobs I would get in touch with the Mercedes parts counter in Newcastle, via their eBay account. The right part at a fair price, often other makers parts cause problems or don’t quite fit..
as for diagnostic's, whilst saving for your SDS, you could look for an iCarsoft MB2 to help you out. just mho..

Hi and thank you!

I had looked at the iCarsoft kit, and wondered how deep it would go into some of the codes available. It appears it will check each module required but wasn’t sure. Do you have experience of using it?

Cheers, Will

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
I have an iCarsoft MB 2 which works well on my cars, 1998 to 2019 models. There are things that it cannot do, but you would need xentry, sds for those, along with the monthly subscription etc..
Have a chat to the guys at “ukparts direct” as an MB 2 may be all you need unless, you have other cars.

OP
T

T8WBN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 / 2004 / 3.7
I have an iCarsoft MB 2 which works well on my cars, 1998 to 2019 models. There are things that it cannot do, but you would need xentry, sds for those, along with the monthly subscription etc..
Have a chat to the guys at “ukparts direct” as an MB 2 may be all you need unless, you have other cars.
Sounds like a plan thanks, I’ll drop them a call today. Do you have any idea if there is a requirement for piston wind back or anything when doing discs and pads? Or is it just for bleeding the system? My only other query was will the MB2 read smaller sensors such as roof, pneumatic problems, that kind of thing.
Cheers

OP
T

T8WBN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 / 2004 / 3.7
Sounds like a plan thanks, I’ll drop them a call today. Do you have any idea if there is a requirement for piston wind back or anything when doing discs and pads? Or is it just for bleeding the system? My only other query was will the MB2 read smaller sensors such as roof, pneumatic problems, that kind of thing.
Cheers
I should say automated wind back rather than normal manual with a piston tool. I gather there is servo assisted breaking and not had a look yet to see how it works and if it means manual pad changes can’t be done without putting it into a service mode.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom