Advice wanted re SL500(1991 model) deflector storage

Paulsyno

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just about to take delivery of my first SL500 (imaculate1991 model) and noted (with surprise) that there is no "right size" cut out in the back of the boot (unlike a 1993 model I viewed) to stow the wind deflector, or any retaining straps for that matter. Can this be right?.

I have held the deflector against the shape in the boot and, sure enough, it does not fit - just has to lie in the bottom of the boot.

Any suggestions and solutions would be appreciated.

Paul

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Not sure what you mean Paul - you should have a colour coded trim piece that fixes with elasticated straps to the firewall in the boot. This covers the wind deflector that sits vertically against the firewall.

OP
P

Paulsyno

Reaction score
Yep - Thats what I thought - looking at 1992 models that is exactly what I see BUT, the recess in the firewall is too small to take the exact shape of the wind deflector and there is no cover or evident fixing straps.

Suspect I shall have to drive round to the Merc agent for comment - very strange.

Paul

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
There isn't a recess in the firewall as such - the cover sits over it. It's not uncommon for the wind deflector and cover to be missing - the elasticated straps do fall out as well.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Hopefully this is clearer:

boot.jpg

OP
P

Paulsyno

Reaction score
Hi Stats007

See what you mean - Will investigate further.

Really do appreciate your assistance and the effort you have taken to help me.

Many thanks

Paul

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
why dont you just clip it onto the roll bar??

Not very practical that's why. Renders the seats useless and also leaves marks on the leather and the paint chips in the down position due to vibration.

If the hardtop is on I take mine and the cover out completely.

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
Not very practical that's why. Renders the seats useless and also leaves marks on the leather and the paint chips in the down position due to vibration.

If the hardtop is on I take mine and the cover out completely.

the seats ARE USELESS though i have had two adults in there - both rather petite ladies Rather = very very. My deflector has wee bumpers so the two frames cant vibrate and rub together and chip the paint and i never noticed any marks on the leather due to the frame OR sun bleaching and it was on all summer only came off a few weeks ago

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
They all have rubber cushion pads on but still chip - maybe your eyesight isn't so good anymore ;):).

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom