Are there any power gains

230ceBruno

Reaction score
I am considering putting a performance exhaust manifold on a 88 W124 with otherwise standard exhuast setup. Are there any power gains from this? The quote approx 40Bhp

clive williams

Reaction score
230ceBruno said:
I am considering putting a performance exhaust manifold on a 88 W124 with otherwise standard exhuast setup. Are there any power gains from this? The quote approx 40Bhp

Bruno,

Not knowing the manifold you're looking at but there will be performance gains if the manifold has been properly designed. The manifold should be designed for the engine spec i.e. camshaft timing and to a lesser extent any cylinder head work. With a full sports exhaust system on the end of the manifold you could expect around 15% increase in power so I think the 40bhp quoted is wildly optimistic for just the manifold. Remember also that the new length of the manifold is unlikely to fit a standard system and will probably lead you to a new sports type system as well.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
40bhp sounds way off to me too. A 230 124 was 140bhp ish?? - that would be a massive gain and I suspect could only be achieved with really poor running. You need a certain amount of back pressure to balance out the engine. Look at it this way, it doesn't take 40bhp to drive the gasses through your existing system surely!

leylandp38

Reaction score
If you want it to make a cool sound then a sports system will do that. But frankly to get more power why not save your money and buy something like a 300CE-24 :p (there are several decent looking ones on Ebay for well under a grand). That will get you comfortably over 200BHP :cool:

Jay Kilby

Reaction score
Website
www.flow-bus.co.uk
Horse power gained through a manifold will usually be quoted as a % of the original engine power output. however it seems pretty pointless spending out on a nice manifold to increaase performance but leaving the restricted standard system on. this would undo most of the gain from the manifold??
if your original motor kicks out 140BHP and assumunig it is normaly asperated i would manifold and system would give around 20BHP max (i am being optimistic) i would say though it would feel like 40 BHP it will tranform how the car feels.

good luck

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom