Assyst indicator reset

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Hi to All, first time poster, long time lurker.

Mercedes have just fitted a new engine to my 316 Sprinter under warranty after a catastrophic failure at a midges over 100,000 miles.

Even though the new engine comes from the factory complete with oil/oil filter/fuel filter, the dealership did not reset the assyst counter. I have fitted an air filter to finish the job and reset assyst manually as per the owners manual instructions. It now shows a 'B' service/2 spanners due in 20,000 miles(I usually get 22-23,000 miles between services) but I would like it to show an 'A' service/1 spanner as it has had the equivalent of a 'B' service with the new engine. Can it be done??? carrying out the reset procedure a second time does not work.

I have searched this forum and general consensus is that it can't be done, but no-one specifically mentions Sprinters. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Interestingly, I have self serviced this van at 67,000 and 89,000 miles but have never had a warranty claim rejected. I was sweating a little when the engine blew up but the dealership didn't bat an eyelid! When the engine was stripped there were no visible signs of wear and the bores still had the factory honing marks untouched at 100,000 miles. Other than the failed con-rod the engine was perfect. Do I count myself lucky that this major failure happened just before the warranty expires or unlucky that it happened at all?

tech lee

Reaction score
Hi, If you reset the service indicator again it will change to an A service. I think you may have been lucky with the dealer. normally the first thing to check in an engine failure is the service history.

OP
Sprint'n'Go

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
I tried to repeat the assyst reset routine but it would not play ball. I will wait until it has counted down 100 miles and then try again to see if this fools it. otherwise I will live with it.

I am quite friendly with my local merc commercial dealership due to the large amount of warranty work this van has received and they have always been aware of my diy servicing(using genuine parts and Mobil 1 turbodiesel). I even mentioned it again as the repair began as I needed to be sure that they would not expect a big fat cheque(£5-6,000?) from me when I collected the van. I suppose the budget alternative if I had been paying myself would have been to try and source a secondhand engine via a breakers(I dont know if the 270CDi engine from a passenger car would be a straight swap or if it could be made to fit, does anybody know?)

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Hmm - I reset mine (on a W203) by mistake. The car had done about 17000 miles and had just flipped from an A to B by itself (which is apparently quite normal at that mileage). When I reset it, it flipped back to A. However, resetting it over and over again it still stayed on A.
When I took it in for service, I asked them to do an A - this confused the dealer as, of course, the car showed thousands of miles to go to an A service!
When I got it back, it correctly showed 13000 miles to B service.

Having said all that, if you self service it doesn't really matter, does it?

I suspect you may have got the warranty claim as it's more normal for commercial vehicles to be serviced 'in-house' than it would be with cars.

OP
Sprint'n'Go

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Ok, it's a small thing but details count and this is starting to bug me.

I have just reset the assyst counter which was showing 19,900 miles to a 'B' service. It went "beep" and then displayed 20,000 miles to a....................'B' service. DOH! As I said previously I can now attempt the reset procedure as much as I like but it just beeps and stays resolutley on a 'B' service in 20k.

Any ideas anybody as I am going to spend many hours staring at this?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Yep, that's what mine did. I expect it can be reset using Star Diagnose.

Top Bottom