Audio system fault CL500 2009

TrevorG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500
The radio, CD player and command centre is faulty with intermittent failure. The radio is glichy and work now and then the CD player not at all.
The command wheel at times becomes very difficult to move.
I have had this looked into and have been informed that there an head unit internal failure.
Has anyone experienced this before? If so, any ideas how to fix it?

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
It’s more likely to be a failure of the amplifier in the boot. They are a known failure item due to dust and moisture where they are hidden.

OP
T

TrevorG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500
Thanks Richard, I'll take a look but do you think would account for the intermittent switching on and off and the CD player not recognising any CDs?

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I have exactly the same issue with mine. Sound drops out intermittently.

As Richard advises, its most likely the amplifier in the boot. They have a reputation for failing.

If you have voice commands, does that work? The voice module (also in the boot) can also be a source of problems. This can be bypassed by a fibre optic bypass - about a tenner from ebay.

Regarding the amplifier. The fans can fail, causing components to cook. at higher than normal temps. These also drawn in a lot of dirt into the unit over time, causing problems.

I've just ordered a can of contact cleaner to see if I can improve mine. There are also various companies who advertise they can fix them, if you send them off to them.

I belive a new unit is approx £2k from MB.

Have a look at this - may help.

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Just by way of update my amplifier is no longer available from MB - neither new or re-manufactured. So repair is my only option.

Current thinking is to repair & then sell the car on as the repairs (reportedly) are as fragile as the original units. Could not deal with a car without music. Very disappointed with MB. Its only 14 years old. :(

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Just by way of update my amplifier is no longer available from MB - neither new or re-manufactured. So repair is my only option.

Current thinking is to repair & then sell the car on as the repairs (reportedly) are as fragile as the original units. Could not deal with a car without music. Very disappointed with MB. Its only 14 years old. :(
I would be tempted to buy a used unit from a breaker, but only if it's guaranteed to be working.

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I would be tempted to buy a used unit from a breaker, but only if it's guaranteed to be working.

Hi Peter. Yes I've been scouring t'internet, however my part number appears a bit elusive, unfortunately.

I've just got off the phone to Remanx, who quoted £277* inc carriage both ways for a repair (if they can repair it). So its going to them on Monday.

I will update when I have further news

* Also advised they were registering for VAT on 1/3/24, therefore retail prices will increase 20%

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom