"automatic" software updates

number six

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 MY2019 W205
In the two years I have had my C300 from new, it has never to my knowledge performed any automatic software updates via its internet connection while parked /not in use. Presumably I would be notified if these have occurred either by the MB ME app or on the car dashboard, and they don't happen surreptitiously. Surely in two years there should have been some! Are all updates including important ones like engine/transmission management now done through this method? My last car (C200) used to have several updates at every annual service performed by garage

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I’ve had one over the air update on my car in two and a half years, back in August 2019 if I recall. You’re right, they show up,in the Mercedes me portal and I think they only relate to the Comand system.

I think most updates are still done by the dealer at the annual service for engine and all the other systems in the car.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
very few cars complete updating OTA (over the air)…. Tesla's do but only when plugged in. Programming cars is fraught with more fun than a PC, stable voltage and a reliable connection is a good start. Of course things move on and these days part downloads can understand and work out where to pick up the pieces to build back a workable version to use.... but this is not common.

The ONLY parts that commonly have OTA updates is the entertainment systems where if it keels over and dies, the car can still start and drive safely. I believe only one Merc system accepts this method and there's a post last week where its stuck and not completing. Ford added this to the Mk4 Focus but took a year and a number of dealer updates before it could ALMOST cope with a successful OTA update.

The rest of the car will be dealer work that they won't bother to do.

Perversely Mercedes never bothered with the sensible approach of designing and building entertainment updates via USB. Most manu have supported this for 5 to 10 years and its a good way top keep bugs out and security patches on the entertainment system.... I did the DAB fix on a mates Pug took 20 mins to load a 1gig update to stop the headunit rebooting…. Much the same fault lies in any 2012 to 2017 C, E and S class with DAB. But few bother, the only good thing is the Merc system only crashes the DAB tuner and the rest of the system is still responsive.

Last edited:
OP
N

number six

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 MY2019 W205
Many thanks for detailed info. Great forum - why can't I phone up MB dealer and get honest reliable tech info like this from them? As you say, you can't rely on dealer to apply appropriate updates at service (due in a couple of weeks). Perhaps paying them £650 is not deemed sufficient. Hopefully they can manage to do an oil and filter change.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
As I understand it, they don’t have a choice on updates. When they plug your car into the computer, which they have to do to start the serviceing process, the computer in Germany then decides what updates you need and applies them automatically. I don’t believe they have any control over the process. Perhaps I’m wrong?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As I understand it, they don’t have a choice on updates. When they plug your car into the computer, which they have to do to start the serviceing process, the computer in Germany then decides what updates you need and applies them automatically. I don’t believe they have any control over the process. Perhaps I’m wrong?
Engine wise I don't think they have much control but for Comand they have to actively update it. MBS had my SLK connected for nearly 8 hrs doing updates to the Comand software as it hadn't been done previously...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
No, nothing is applied automatically,
they can flag a message saying this module should be updated but NOTHING says the dealer will do it...

the service reception blokes only understand how the coffee machine works and what toys his new demo car will come with... other than that if you can find anyone in the building who knows how an engine works I'd be very surprised... let alone how to get the diagnostic machine to apply and update (as they'll never have done it before)

Last edited:
OP
N

number six

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 MY2019 W205
if you can find anyone in the building who knows how an engine works I'd be very surprised...

This exactly mirrors my experience at the dealers when trying to get technical information of any description. I often wonder if they really don't want you to know anything about your own car beyond how to drive it.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
a few massive reasons
1) they are not allowed to explain what the software changes brought.... it could open them to litigation.... if you crash coz the software is that bad..... they don't want you to know that, it'll get expensive.
2) they make so many changes (as they have no idea what they are doing at the factory) that every day is a new day of 0s & 1s and they still don't work. After a while even the best techs just flash the latest rubbish and don't care if it works or not....
3) today its a just a budget washing machine designed to be thrown away at year 4 (and ideally by year 3)

Top Bottom