Blow drying car

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes the title is right.

I really liked the idea of using high volume and speed air to blow the water from the car after washing.

Mainly because:
  • Im lazy
  • My water magnet cant do my huge CL without being wrung constantly
  • Water always gets stuck in the cracks
  • I like toys

So I looked it up and there are various products out there for drying cars:

http://www.cardryers.co.uk/

Air force blasters etc etc, they all seem to cost between 100-300 pounds.

No chance im paying that. So I grabbed one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grooming-Dr...id=1422976496&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=pey+dryer

Exactly the same, filter on the air intake, heated options (which I wont be using). and multiple nozzles!

Happy days. Will report back once I have had a chance to use it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting concept, never thought of that, it is the water that sits in the wheel bolt holes that bug me.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting concept, never thought of that, it is the water that sits in the wheel bolt holes that bug me.

That is one of the worst places. Under the trim is another one, and where the mirrors fold.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I do not blow dry the whole car but i do blow the water from the wheel bolt holes and the panel joints, fuel filler area, behind the door mirror glasses and all ''nooks and crannies''. This is especially useful before detail spraying or other finishing because it means the application and buffing clothes do not get damp.

I just use the garage compressor.

Mic

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I've used my garden vac on blow - quite effective.

It's also great for encouraging a reluctant barbecue to get going - last time I (over)did this it achieved the temperature of a Bessemer Converter and I was a good 8 feet away (sadly the charcoal was completely consumed in about 30 seconds flat, so a bit counterproductive) :(

Davelincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220, 2014, Audi TTRS plus
I have been using dog hair dryer,for the last 3 years similar to the one in your link, it works a treat , and less marring to the paint work

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Combine with a DI vessel to supply the final rinse water and one should never need to touch the paintwork!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
its the same principle as taking the car for a short drive. or the drying cycle of a 'drive through' car wash, if you think about it

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS 350 CDI AMG Sport & 2014 C220 CDI AMG Sport edition (Wifeys)
I always used a leaf blower to dry my motor bikes after cleaning, (more nooks and crannies than a car).....I did/have used on a car a few times, however, I used only electric, never used it for anything else......the one in the garden is separate etc etc.........may or may not be logic in my rules but thats what I did.

I only use one towel to dry the CLS perhaps occasionally a bit of assistance from a second.....key is paint protection enabling the water to run off......in the warmer months I have trouble keeping it wet enough to dry, if you know what I mean...:D

ATB

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always used a leaf blower to dry my motor bikes after cleaning, (more nooks and crannies than a car).....I did/have used on a car a few times, however, I used only electric, never used it for anything else......the one in the garden is separate etc etc.........may or may not be logic in my rules but thats what I did.

I only use one towel to dry the CLS perhaps occasionally a bit of assistance from a second.....key is paint protection enabling the water to run off......in the warmer months I have trouble keeping it wet enough to dry, if you know what I mean...:D

ATB

I will defo be using it on the bikes too.

I found that after the car was waxed, all the water beaded up and sat on top of the surface rather than ran off, made drying with my towel a lot more work.

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
if one can invest in a air compressor for home then it would be a breeze drying the car as the power form the air compressor and really dry it quickly, especially if you have good surface protection and water beads and sheets off easily,

air compressor could otherwise be useful for the DIY person too, air ratchets, guns and much more could be used.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if one can invest in a air compressor for home then it would be a breeze drying the car as the power form the air compressor and really dry it quickly, especially if you have good surface protection and water beads and sheets off easily,

air compressor could otherwise be useful for the DIY person too, air ratchets, guns and much more could be used.

Air tools are good, but air sanders etc consume a lot of air and the compressor must be quite large to drive them, air guns consume little as they are not free running.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I've tried drying mine with an airline but not had a great deal of success.

I now just use water to "sheet" dry it. Low pressure hose starting at the top and let it all run off in one big sheet. It's usually then dry enough to go over it with a waffle weave towel though, as Whitenemesis says above, no substitute for a DI vessel. 100% pure water doesn't leave any marks at all and you can just drive off.

Developer John swears by his, as does sjmaxwell (Steve). Possibly my next investment, though still trying to justify it to myself

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will try the air line the next time I wash one, I have the air pistol that gives a fine get output.

Top Bottom