Brake Pipes on A170

snowman

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, but hands on car repair scares me! I have a 1999 A170 that has just failed its MOT for having excessively corroded rear brake pipes. Has anyone had this happen before? and what sort of cost should I expect to have them replaced? I have read on here that it only takes a few minutes in an E class but have been quoted 3 hours labour for my A-class. To me this seems a bit excessive but I await correction.

Thanks for any help,

Ian

nicky

Banned
Reaction score
snowman said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but hands on car repair scares me! I have a 1999 A170 that has just failed its MOT for having excessively corroded rear brake pipes. Has anyone had this happen before? and what sort of cost should I expect to have them replaced? I have read on here that it only takes a few minutes in an E class but have been quoted 3 hours labour for my A-class. To me this seems a bit excessive but I await correction.

Thanks for any help,

Ian

yes a garage will charge you three hours,,they will need to strip the old pipes off,make new ones,fit them,then bleed the system.....

tom7035

Reaction score
--- and you don't need to go to a £90/hour outfit either for this job, any small garage with even the most basic equpment will be well able to do it. It isn't over complicated, just takes a bit of time, and the cost of material is minimal. I would also insist copper brake pipe is used rather than steel for longevity.

nicky

Banned
Reaction score
tom7035 said:
--- and you don't need to go to a £90/hour outfit either for this job, any small garage with even the most basic equpment will be well able to do it. It isn't over complicated, just takes a bit of time, and the cost of material is minimal. I would also insist copper brake pipe is used rather than steel for longevity.

your correct Tom,,The total cost would only come to about£50 to £60....

OP
S

snowman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. (Sorry about the delay but I have been off ill for a couple of days). I did go to my local garage to get the work done who charged £120 for both sets compared to about £400 for my local franchise (that excludes the two franchises who weren't interested in the work at any price).

Top Bottom