Brigdestones

rajinder_1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
i know im a bit backward in the way im doing this but wanted your views on Bridgestone tyres. I have bought them as my Dunlop sp9000 are getting a bit low. Got a reasonable price on them so just wanted your views????? I have Bridgestone RE040 275/35/ZR18 what do you all think? are they any good ? do they wear well or not?

regards

Raj

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
rajinder_1 said:
Hi Guys,
i know im a bit backward in the way im doing this but wanted your views on Bridgestone tyres. I have bought them as my Dunlop sp9000 are getting a bit low. Got a reasonable price on them so just wanted your views????? I have Bridgestone RE040 275/35/ZR18 what do you all think? are they any good ? do they wear well or not?

regards

Raj

Sorry Raj, I have not retired yet, How can you drive around on those skinny bone shakers. I did a posting on SL tyres,Bridgestones did not come into it.

Malcolm

OP
R

rajinder_1

Reaction score
Malcolm, the only reason i got them was that i got them at a good price (well i think i have) which are bone shakers? the dunlops or bridgestones? Dunlops were on there when i bought the car.

Raj

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
rajinder_1 said:
Malcolm, the only reason i got them was that i got them at a good price (well i think i have) which are bone shakers? the dunlops or bridgestones? Dunlops were on there when i bought the car.

Raj
No Raj I was not refering to the Bridgestones, it was the 35 profile.Still you are young and fit.

Malcolm

OP
R

rajinder_1

Reaction score
Malcolm,
the alloys came that cam standard on the car with those tyres. I think they are a standard fit on the alloys supplied from new. So im just replacing whats already on there.
To be honest with you malc, the ride in the car is ok and doesnt feel that bad, i would imagine that MB would have tested the car with the alloys for comfort etc.

Raj

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
rajinder_1 said:
Malcolm,
the alloys came that cam standard on the car with those tyres. I think they are a standard fit on the alloys supplied from new. So im just replacing whats already on there.
To be honest with you malc, the ride in the car is ok and doesnt feel that bad, i would imagine that MB would have tested the car with the alloys for comfort etc.

Raj
Hello Raj, I know the wheels you have were standard special for the Silver Arrow, Nice wheels, 35% of 275 still gives you a fairly good ride, I have never known anyone to complain with them.

Malcolm

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I've got bridgestones on the front of the E (245/45/17) and they seem to be wearing ok. Grip and ride is fine so no complaints really. They have been on from the factory so are effectively MB approved for whatever that's worth!

angus falconer

Reaction score
rajinder_1 said:
Hi Guys,
i know im a bit backward in the way im doing this but wanted your views on Bridgestone tyres.
Raj

I had Bridgestone S03's on a Nissan 200SX and really like them. They were 40 profile (I think) and ZR rated

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
jberks said:
I've got bridgestones on the front of the E (245/45/17) and they seem to be wearing ok. Grip and ride is fine so no complaints really. They have been on from the factory so are effectively MB approved for whatever that's worth!

Worth whatever deal bridgestone are willing to give MB to fit them. As so many people fit the same tyres as were fitted originally manufacturers compete for OE fitment. The problem with changing is that you are into the unknown. Tyres can be very subjective so it can be hard to get objective advice. Even then it very much depends upon driving habits how the tyres will last, grip, feel etc.
My tyre dealer used to supply a 928 owner with remolds, they only lasted him half as long as the OE's but they cost him 1/4 of the price.

OP
R

rajinder_1

Reaction score
Blobcat,
I usually use what ever i get at a reasonable price, im not big on paying over the odd prices for a named brand but love paying cheap prices for the same thing. Which is what i try to do..... That was the reason behind the Bridgestones i got them relatively cheap compared to off the shelf price so i bought them and then realised i better get some info on them see if they are any good.
But from what i hear they dont sound that bad, time will tell

Raj

clive williams

Reaction score
television said:
Hello Raj............... 35% of 275 still gives you a fairly good ride, I have never known anyone to complain with them.

Malcolm

Malcolm, the reason that there are no complaints is that their teeth are still chattering up and down!!!!!! The 35 aspect ratio on the 275 gives a wall height of ~96mm whereas a 235/45 gives ~106mm - that 10mm makes all the difference you know - ask my ..............!! I would be concerned about the eveness of the treadwear and aquaplaning on this width of tyre all round.

Clive

500E - 225/55/16 - 326bhp/350lbft - enough grip
E320CDIT210 215/55/16 - 245bhp/380lbft - enough grip

Ant

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi Avantgarde; ML 320 CDi; CLK 350 Cabrio; CLK 320 Cabrio(in France)
Interesting reading everyone's comments but nobody has given any indication of what mileage they are achieving. Yes, I know that this depends very much on driving style but we all need benchmarks. On the first set of Dunlops on my E320 CDi (W210) I achieved 20k all round. I replaced those with Michelin - expensive but good - and I've done 15k with about 4mm of tread left so reckon I should get 20k from this set. I had heard that the E class was heavy on tyres but for such a heavy, relatively powerful car, I donn't think that is too bad. What are you all achieving with W210's and what is the new model like?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I found the 202 and 210 to be very heavy to tyres round town. When I did 6-8k per year, I saw no better than 10k out of a set, whatever they were. I then moved offices and started doing 25k per year. I didn't see the tyres out, but I reckon 30-40k+ wouldn't have been out of the way given how little wear they were showing after 17k. Those were vredesteins.

When I bought the E270 (211), they put a new set of contis on the rear but said that the bridgestones on the front had over 4mm so had to stay. These were factory fitted as far as I know so had already covered 17k. Since then, I've done 12k of mainly motorway work. The new contis on the back are down to 4.5mm already. I suspect that this has a lot to do with the greater torque of the 270 (over the 240) as the fronts have now covered just short of 29k and still have some life in them yet. In fact the rears were reported at the service. They never mentioned the front and didn't believe me when I said that the rears were new 5 months ago and the front 2 were original and had covered over twice the distance!

As the front pair are wearing at a similar rate to those on the 240, and the rears were originally the same make (been, chewed up and gone), I suspect it is the torque rather than the make and its likely to shred whatever I put on the back.

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Michelin have a new tyre just out, called Primacy HP, which has (according to the blurb) been developed especially for 'upper segment' (surely that means us!) cars, which offers 25% more life.
I pretty despertaly need some new rear tyres so I may try these (I'd settled on the 'old' Primacy anyway, to replace my rock hard sidewalled Bridgestones).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Ant said:
Interesting reading everyone's comments but nobody has given any indication of what mileage they are achieving. Yes, I know that this depends very much on driving style but we all need benchmarks. On the first set of Dunlops on my E320 CDi (W210) I achieved 20k all round. I replaced those with Michelin - expensive but good - and I've done 15k with about 4mm of tread left so reckon I should get 20k from this set. I had heard that the E class was heavy on tyres but for such a heavy, relatively powerful car, I donn't think that is too bad. What are you all achieving with W210's and what is the new model like?

Took me awhile to find it but I posted the below on another thread recently;
My E320cdi is pretty good on tyres, I drive mainly on the A483 through mid-Wales normally <50% on M-Ways. I have stayed with Continetal EcoContacts (no longer available) and have had the following mileages;
1st - 28,175 miles
2nd - 19,773 miles
3rd - 25,849
4th - 11,905 so far and wearing very well

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom