Buying a mid eighties SL class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasman

New Registration
Reaction score
Dear Mercedes owners, I am in need of some advice . I am interested in buying a mid to late eighties SL convertible, and need to know a couple of things. Are there seatbelts in the rear and can I fit a baby seat (or two) on the rear seat? Finally which of the class is my best bet, I intend to have it as a second car yet have regular use.

Many thanks for any advice.

Malcolm Brown

Reaction score
Website
www.******************.co.uk
Hi, Gasman

There have been a few past threads on buying R107 model SLs (71-89). Try a search on 107 and on SL. That should find them (amongst other related stuff that may be of interest).

Regarding the rear seats, the belts will be either lap-straps or 4-point belts (see recent thread on similar topic in technical forum). The seat back is absolutely vertical, and this might well impede fitting. Unless someone else has direct experience, I suggest you find an SL to have a look at. Note that the rear seats were an option, but a fairly commonly-selected one.

If fuel consumption is not an issue, then the 500 is the quickest. Having said that, I'm happy with my 300. The engine sizes (and some other things, like wheels) changed in 85, from 280 to 300 (straight sixes); from 380 to 420 (V8s); and from 450 to 500 (also V8s).

Hope this is some help, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom