C220 CDI Engine heater exhaust smoking

dan156

Reaction score
Hi

On my c220 cdi year 2000 there is an exhaust pipe at the front offside near the wheel arch.

It started blowing out bellows of smoke and ash.

I have a switch on the console on the drivers side with a heater symbol on it. The book explained it was for warming the enging??!!

I turned it off and restarted the car and the smoke stopped - but if i turn it on it starts to blow smoke again.

Any ideas what it is and what is possibly wrong.

Cheers

Dan

PhilDonoghue

Reaction score
I should say I know very little about these things Dan and have no experience of your car but, it sounds a lot like you are talking about the pre heater switch.

I can't say you haven't got a problem anyway but that is not designed to be used while you are driving at normal temps.

I have one on my sprinter van and only use it ( normally in winter) to warm the engine before you set off to avoid wear before the oil etc is up to temp. I have forgotten in the depths of a Polish blizzard and left it on for 30 miles or so and can't say I noticed plumes of smoke but, if we are talking about the same switch, and you have no other related problems whilst driving it I would say it just shouldn't be on.

Regards,

Phil

Wezzel

Reaction score
This is and auxillary heater which is used to warm the car interior more quickly in cold weather. It burns diesel and should only cut in when the car is first started and the ambient air temperature is less than something like 9 degrees (I'm not sure of the exact temperature).

I keep mine turned off all the time 'cos it stinks and chucks out smoke but it shouldn't really matter if it is on or not at this time of the year as it shouldn't fire up.

It sounds like there is a fault on the temperature sensing side. Best thing is just to keep it turned off - it doesn't seem to make much difference anyway as the car warms up very quickly without it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that you will find that it is leaking, and the whole thing or the rad,will have to be replaced, we had one here around Oct-Dec 05, do a search.

malcolm

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom