C220 Coupe with Manual Gearbox - Foot Brake Hill Starts!??

Matd

Reaction score
Hi,

I love the C220 Coupe (52 reg) that i've just bought. The implications in that it didn't have a proper handbrake wern't properly realised until i'd bought the car and been using it for just over a week and my first time parking on a steep decline!

How on earth are you supposed to release the foot brake using the release leaver, hold the foot brake down and dip the clutch in reverse or indeed 1st without the car darting forwards or backwards?

I heard of Hill Start Assist, but i don't see any sign of this in the car...

For a manufacturer known for their attention to safety, i think having a footbrake in a car with a manual gearbox is incredibly dangerous, almost lethal!

Does anyone have any tips for someone with no prior knowledge of having a footbrake rather than a handbrake in this particular car. It's also my first Mercedes!

Love the car, just confused and really concerned about the parking brake! :confused:

Captain Flack

Reaction score
Just lift the clutch as normal and when you're at the biting point pull the parking brake release. There's no need to have your foot on the parking brake pedal. You'll get used to it fairly quickly.

Top Bottom