C220 driving in ice/snow conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

howelc01

New Registration
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Mercedes C220 and whilst delighted with it, I had problems in last weeks wintery conditions, wheel spins etc. Having never driven an automatic before am I missing something?, the manual says move the transmission from S to E, any other advice gratefully received

steveperry

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedes-benz.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2010 CLS350CDI Gr.Ed.
Hi,

Nope, you're not missing a thing, those are the joys of rear wheel drive coupled with an auto transmission. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about it, MB's aren't renowned for their snow/ice ability. In Europe where they are more prepared for harsh winters it's common practice to have a second set of tyres that are built for snowy conditions.

If you have money to spend you could get some snow chains or I know of a few MB owners that use a spare set of steel rims fitted with winter spec tyres.

Also having super wide alloy wheels will make driving in snow worse whereas the thinner steel rims will cut through a bit more to give you slightly better grip.

S.

sgregory124

Reaction score
I'd pretty much concur with the other post....Wednesday night saw my beloved C36 floundering in my work cark park. It took me 10 minutes just to move it about 5 yards!

So I took the next best option and borrowed an Audi A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro for the evening.

Much better! (I used to own one and i'd have one again just for winter if I could possibly afford it LOL).

Simon

howelc01 said:
I have just purchased a Mercedes C220 and whilst delighted with it, I had problems in last weeks wintery conditions, wheel spins etc. Having never driven an automatic before am I missing something?, the manual says move the transmission from S to E, any other advice gratefully received

Snake16

Reaction score
I fully agree with everything said, I have been slithering around on ice & snow all week.

One point about the switch on the auto box. Keep it on "E" or "W" (as on my car), this will allow the car to pull away in 2nd gear, thus making it less likely to wheel spin. As little throttle as necessary should be applied, sometimes I find that no throttle at all will get you moving, just let the tickover gently pull you out, any jabs to the throttle will simply make the wheels spin & burn fuel!

In a "I'm stuck" situation, go forward a bit, then immediately put it in reverse, go a couple of foot & repeat. This will often get you out of a jam but only to be used rarely as I don't suppose it would do the box much good carried out repeatedly.

6fd

Reaction score
Good advice! I was brought up on a northern farm and learned to drive in slippery conditions. The rocking method tou describe works well, even with a stuck tractor or Land Rover. The most important thing in slippery conditions is to be gentle and avoid wheelspin and get a reasonable run up at hills. My auto Merc is difficult but OK if you know what to do. My son's FWD Citroen is easy but he couldn't drive on the snow because of lack of experience.
I used to have mud & snow tyres for winter - which make a HUGE difference but since I now live in the South I would only need them a couple of days a year, and I'm not going to change all 4 wheels just for that!
FD

marky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live and work in Switzerland 5 days a week and as you can imagine we get a bit of snow and Ice here this time of year. I had a BMW 325 coupe as a company car out here until 1st of Jan and even with winter tyres (almost mandatory here.....if you have an accident in this country in winter and you are not on winter tyres the Police and Insurance automatically blame you !) I regularly frightened myself !. I changed to a VW V6 Tdi Passat with 4 wheel drive last month and it is great in this weather. Have a C220D in England which is the best car I've owned but would not want to drive it here in winter !

guydewdney

Reaction score
Website
www.atct.co.uk
i watched a 202 with amg alloys on sliding down a hill - back wheels turning, fronts locked solid. I suggested to him to put the handbrake on 1 or two clicks - to overcome the defficiencies of the back brakes over the fronts.

he then continued down the hill with no further slipping ( I was in an old citroen at the time)

one happy customer :)

Tony

Reaction score
Basically, as has been said, that's what you get with front engine rear wheel drive. It's just the laws of physics and the only solution that really works is to get winter tyres. (The Merc handbooks say that summer tyres shouldn't be used below 4 degrees C, so they're obviously aware of the problem). A Nissan Micra will drive rings round you unless you have winter tyres.

One thing that does help a bit is to drop your tyre pressures. Mercedes usually have very high pressure recommendations - mine's 30/33. This makes a bad situation even worse. If you're driving in snow you can afford to drop these significantly (20/23ish). Just remember that you have and take it really easy until you pump them up again. It's only a temporary measure to give you a bit of traction in slippery conditions.

Keith

Reaction score
using chains

can anyone give me any tips for using chains on a hire car next week. Its a Renault Laguna (front wheel drive I guess). I am taking chains as a precaution to get to a ski resort in the Pyrennes. I have made the journey before and was ok without but I have heard of folk not being so lucky so I thought I would take chains just in case but have never used them before.

some questions:
How do you put them on.
How far can you go
in what conditions can you use them
how fast can you go
any driving tips or techniques recommended
Do you have to take them off for tunnels

these are a few of my q's

any advice from alpine friends appreciated!
Keith

Keith

Reaction score
snow chain advice

Marky
thanks that was a helpful site.

One q it didnt answer was what speed and distance you can use them for and also do you have to take them off on normal road eg a tunnel.

Are they just for 'getting out of trouble' or could you drive say 50 miles on them to complete your journey and given a straight road what speed is safe?

thanks
Keith

marky

Reaction score
Keith,
never use chains off the snow, they will rapidly dissintegrate and damage the car and any poor soul behind you will have a major problem !

I have only used chains once and the reccomendation on the leaflet that came with them was max speed 30km/hr. I have to say that any faster than that in conditions where you need the chains #### you are most probably going to have an accident of some kind !

I would reccomend you keep them in the car and use them to get you out of trouble, the car should be fitted with winter tyres.......if its a hire car make sure with the rental company.. as once you leave the car hire depot having signed for the car you are legally responsible for the vehicle.

Hope that helps

Marky
4 wheel drive in Switzerland
Merc in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom