C230k coupe loss of power

Julian Hayes

New Registration
Reaction score
I have recently starting experiencing momentary losses of power in my 10 month old C230k coupe. This is proving very disconcerting particularly when in the fast lane of the motorway. A days diagnosis at the dealer has so far failed to locate the reason and I gather they are investigating the same problem with another c-class.

Has anyone experienced the same thing happening? Does anyone know what the cause is?

:(

gav350z

Reaction score
Hi Julian,

Just a quick one but did you manage to find out what caused the car to lose power. The missus has an '02 C200K coupe and has had the same problem. It loses power completely for a few seconds before accelerating again, it feels like some sort of fuel starvation/mixture problem. Does not seem to be connected with the weather (ie damp or wet conditions) and is very intermittent, can happen once in a week or 10 times a day. The dealer over the last 6 months has checked/replaced the maf, lamber sensor, fuel pump and a few other things with no joy at the moment. I am worried that she will lose power when pulling out. etc and have an accident. The dealer has experienced this problem while they had the car on a test run but as yet have not sorted it and our warrenty runs out shortly. Do you or anyone else have any ideas and is this a problem with this model. Should Mercedes being doing more to sort this out?

Thanks for any help.

Gav

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Mine did this. Eased my foot down at 70 and could feel the acceleration vary even though the throttle was solid. I had a diagnostic done and was told that the o2 sensor was just out of spec but it would be ok for a few weeks/ months yet. Fortunately I ordered a replacement anyway as 4 days later, I put my foot down and it just died! Limped home at 30!

They fitted new o2 and Air mass sensors and all is well again.

Yoggi

Reaction score
o2 sensor

Hi

I have a c230k 1998 . almost giving up with this car. Where can i locate the 02 sensor ?

Thanks
Yoggi

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yoggi said:
Hi

I have a c230k 1998 . almost giving up with this car. Where can i locate the 02 sensor ?

Thanks
Yoggi
O2 sensor is the MAS/MAF which I understand you have already replaced.

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Blobcat said:
O2 sensor is the MAS/MAF which I understand you have already replaced.

Isn't the O2 sensor the Lambda Sensor which is located at the exhaust manifold?

Jim

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
jimsinessex said:
Isn't the O2 sensor the Lambda Sensor which is located at the exhaust manifold?

Jim
Yes it is, my apologies, my brain is working sideways today. Thinking O2 = Air = Airflow

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that it is possible that it is the same as many other cars including BMW ,VW and Volvo V70.
One can forget sensors, as they play no part in sudden loss of power,plus any fault on a sensor leaves a fault code behind, since there would have been a change in the stored parameters.
There's one part of the circuitry, "the Electronic throtle " or more often known as the throtle actuator: the electronic throtle consist of two parts, the throtle pedal wire goes to a a pot, the pot is hard wired to the throtle actuator, a complicated component with carbon tracks and motor. It has now been proved on the obove cars that this component was the cause of the sudden power loss, it leaves no fault code as the effect of the fault is no more than taking ones foot off the throtle. Sadly the components used are not much better quality than those we used to have in our old radio's , remember the sound going and a touch on the knob it all came back.
There has to be a default position should a fault accure, there is, the power is turned off, the other way around the car would go to max speed. Both, just as deadly. Any faults that accure for only 10 secs in 6 months are imposible to find. Hope it makes sense.

Malcolm

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom