C250 TD fuel consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

taxi

Reaction score
Hi can anyone throw any light on high fuel consumption on a 97 c250 td auto, its doing 30 to 34 on motorway trips, filters and oil have been changed, motor has done 80k miles, I expected 40ish mpg, I also have a c220cdi 45mpg and an E200 petrol 35mpg, cheers.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
hi,
My E240 gets 35-37 on the motorway, admittedly with the aircon turned off and keeping below 85. Its supposed to be the uneconomical one of the range. The diesel sounds quite low, though I had one for a day a few years ago and they go like hell. I found the book figures quite accurate, what does it say ?

OP
T

taxi

Reaction score
Thanks for that. if I cant sort it out I might as well change it for a C200 as I am getting 35mpg from a V reg E200 estate, I can also get a newer petrol version for the money.

jeffhosier

Reaction score
Taxi

My C250TD estate (S reg) averages 37mpg overall - more when my wife drives it. It has from new, and still does at 85k miles. It sounds like yours is misbehaving. Afraid I can't suggest why. I'm sure your local MB dealer will have some suggestions if you cross his palm with sufficient silver!

Hope you find an answer.

Cheers

Jeff Hosier

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi,
I've often thought this. Unless you are doing a massive mileage, or buying new, whenever I have done the sums, a diesel doesn't ever seem to add up. I went for a 3 year old E320CDI and ended up with a 9 month old E240 for the same money. The used petrols are so much cheaper (and nicer to drive), that you generally only break even with the fuel cost savings. (or not it seems in the case of a C250). I seem to remember it was sluggish until the turbo came in then became a ferrari. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad if you could keep the turbo off ?

JimmyTD

Reaction score
I average around 38mpg with mine. The CDi's are newer technology so are much more economical. I swapped a C180 for the C250TD, the diesel is faster, smoother, quieter and more economical.

I have been driving an E240 for the last few days, feels so sloooow, glad to get back into mine tonight, give me a diesel anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom