C270 wont go over 2000rpm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Mr Psmart, turbo's are not my cup of tea, but am I right in saying that the turbo will not engage in N and only works under load.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
martink said:
Hi,

Any idea's on this one.

I own a C270CDI, 2001 model. After a few minutes of driving my car it wont go above 2000rpm. I can get to what ever speed I like, but takes a lot longer cause it wont exceed 2000rpm. Its on the S mode and not W. Any comments or idea's? I would be greatfull. I have noticed that I cant hear the turbo. Its like it in a safe mode or something.

Also, anyone know where I can get cheap parts from online? ie brake pad sensors!

Many Thanks
If you let me have the first 6 numbers of vin I can check some more.

Malcolm

psmart

Reaction score
television said:
am I right in saying that the turbo will not engage in N and only works under load.
On these engines, there always engaged unless a fault occurs, in which case they fail-safe to minimum setting. As soon as you start the engine, the actuator arm goes from minimum to maximum as the vacuum builds up and the ECU (via the BPCVT, which is a current operated device) pulls back on the arm (ie. slows the turbo down) according to its program. A quick blip on the accelerator will see the arm go from maximum to about 1/3rd of its travel.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
psmart said:
On these engines, there always engaged unless a fault occurs, in which case they fail-safe to minimum setting. As soon as you start the engine, the actuator arm goes from minimum to maximum as the vacuum builds up and the ECU (via the BPCVT, which is a current operated device) pulls back on the arm (ie. slows the turbo down) according to its program. A quick blip on the accelerator will see the arm go from maximum to about 1/3rd of its travel.

Thank you for that,I learnt a little bit more.
I see that the throtle actuator is prone to causing smoke and putting the engine inot the safe mode, I have asked for the pin to see what I can find,

Thank you very much PS.

Malcolm

psmart

Reaction score
Thats what were all here for, to learn, and a good chunk of this forum has learnt from your knowledge. I only know about this area because I was forced to treat my car like a lego set, ie. think up scenarios, read up, run a few tests, then merge the results to find a fault. Apart from the inlet manifold, I had the entire gummings stripped down at one point or the other. Removed and reassembled the Turbo three times, I dread to think of the final bill if it had gone to a garage (it did twice before I got involved)!

OP
M

martink

Reaction score
Having fun with mine at the moment. Had the car up on a ramp, looking for any cracked hoses etc, checked for blockages etc, nothing wrong. All seems to be fine. However when checking the Brake Servo Pipe, it was brittle with small fractures, which crack when removed. So, driving home was fun, the brakes dont work to well (has to do a DIY temporary cable). I have just ordered a replacement pipe from mercedes for £32. Which arrives on tuesday. I did notice that it wont go over 2000rpm when this cable is faulty.

I'll write more once the cable has been replace.

M

OP
M

martink

Reaction score
television said:
If you let me have the first 6 numbers of vin I can check some more.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

The first 6 characters of the VIN are : WDB203

Thanks for your previous comments.

Regards

Martin

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom