Can I ask about a Smart (451)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Long story .... but I let the battery go FLAT on my 14 plate 451 1.0 turbo while it sat on my drive for a fortnight. Stuck a charger on it last week for a couple days & all appeared to OK. I then drove it & though it drove OK the management light was on. I cleared the light with iCarsoft i980 which was due to low voltage ... the battery had been flat!
Just got in it again & the EML is on again & iCarsoft is telling me B1111 low voltage again - it's 12.56V so only a little low. The battery is now connected to the CTek & being 'reconditioned' .... see what happens.

BUT .... both times, there has been a code of P0900. P0900 is the clutch actuator open circuit, iCarsoft says 'operational fault of M18(coupling motor)
I've just cleared it & iCaroft then showed no trouble codes. So started the car, put it in gear - forwards & backwards - switched off & scanned it. P0900 is back again!

Any ideas? Or just ignore it ..... LOL

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd be inclined to pull the connector apart and clean it with contact cleaner (do NOT use WD-40). Also check earth straps etc as the actuator is fairly high current (essentially it's a wiper motor repurposed to drive a clutch actuator mechanism).

It may also have lost its clutch teach in so many need a visit to a Star machine to teach it again.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'd be inclined to pull the connector apart and clean it with contact cleaner (do NOT use WD-40). Also check earth straps etc as the actuator is fairly high current (essentially it's a wiper motor repurposed to drive a clutch actuator mechanism).

It may also have lost its clutch teach in so many need a visit to a Star machine to teach it again.
That's my plan for when/if it ever stops raining & a squirt of squirty grease on the actuator rod.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
made no difference :-(
EML/fault cleared, drive around the block & it's fine, switch off & the EML is back on again. And my Indie is still on holiday! :oops::rolleyes:

Actuator rod isn't as accessible as on a Roadster

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Suspect as above, its lost its calibration.

What is the code definition for B1111 and is it in the engine ecu?

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Suspect as above, its lost its calibration.

What is the code definition for B1111 and is it in the engine ecu?
Sorry .... I didn't see this reply :oops:
It said 'Terminal 30 under voltage' .... which it wold be due to a very flat battery. That's sorted now after it had been on a charger for a day or 3.

Went to local Indie today. He hooked his Xentry up to the car. Still the same :( Just P0900 showing as a current fault & won't clear.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cant lookup the code definition, but it cannot be open circuit if you can drive it. Did you carry out the clutch adjustment and calibration procedure.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I cant lookup the code definition, but it cannot be open circuit if you can drive it. Did you carry out the clutch adjustment and calibration procedure.
No clutch adjustment or calibration.

While typing above I just had a thought.
John, the local Indie, had the car plugged into his Xentry/Star & though it only showed a current fault F in the engine bit, it was telling him to clear the fault code in the 'Sprintshift' even though there were no codes showing there. So I connected my iCarsoft, went to the Sprintshift section, cleared all codes, even though none were showing .... it said all cleared, the EML was still on. Then went to the engine section, cleared all fault codes and Voila! The management light went out. Switched off engine, restarted it & the EML went out as it should.
Just spoke to John to tell him, apparently he'd done similar with his kit ..????
Any way .... all sorted. Maybe trying to get out of reverse gear with a flat battery in the first place upset things ..... ????
Thanks for the interest. :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does sound like it, as the clutch actuator is fairly power hungry, so likely would have logged an under voltage code.

Additionally, some codes present in other modules can cause the check engine light to come on.

In any case, all sorted, so happy days :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom