Can this actually work?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is no way that I can see that this could work, nope, how can you chip the engine from the diagnostic socket, sure you can read the info from there, but change it ???

See what the tuning guys say.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
More power and less fuel - it's the dog's danglies. ;)

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Well... given that the dude appears to be from Poland I had a look at this type of product on our own home grown 'ebay' and... well - there's quite a lot of them. I doubt they would be available if it was a dud.

See for example http://allegro.pl/chip-box-obd-chiptuning-vw-i5088625482.html

This is for a VW... but as you can see it looks exactly the same. Price is comparable too.. about 100GBP.

But - and I say this as an IT professional so my opinion of your average mortal in regards to computers/technical specs will always be an arrogant and condescending one ;) - it is CLEARLY marketed at people with... a not so high-IQ, throwing around some numbers that make you go ooh and aah - like 3-core chip, or more MHz, or some other ultimately irrevant stuff. The thing either changes the programming of your engine, or it doesnt, whether it does that with a 600GHz 90-core CPU, or a dorito...

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
There are a lot of tools on the market at the minute that are branded as an "ECU" or "TCU" tuning box!

In fact they reset adaptations and block gearbox and engine communication so that the engine can produce what ever torque it wants with the gearbox just letting it do it!

Cons!!!

many thanks

Team GAD

OP
S

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying it might actually work but also might damage the gearbox or transmission?

There are a lot of tools on the market at the minute that are branded as an "ECU" or "TCU" tuning box!

In fact they reset adaptations and block gearbox and engine communication so that the engine can produce what ever torque it wants with the gearbox just letting it do it!

Cons!!!

many thanks

Team GAD

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Yes of course! The gearbox always has the last say on torque output! So it has the final limiters in place to stop everything from lunching itself!

Also before I had communication to the new Golf R one of my customers up north bought two boxes similar and main dealer got rid of his warranty as they knew something had been messed with as they had no gearbox communication as there tools had been blocked also!!!

OP
S

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
Oh dear, thanks for the confirmation, I don't think I'll bother!

Yes of course! The gearbox always has the last say on torque output! So it has the final limiters in place to stop everything from lunching itself!

Also before I had communication to the new Golf R one of my customers up north bought two boxes similar and main dealer got rid of his warranty as they knew something had been messed with as they had no gearbox communication as there tools had been blocked also!!!

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3

Audi/VW are well known for this, any fiddling with the ECU that increases set parameters regarding fuelling, boost, Etc throws a scan error at the dealers when investigated, the vehicle then has a "TD1" flag entered into its electronic service history.

= powertrain warranty void......:(

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
@Boxbrownie

Yeah have heard this but have tuned loads of 14 and now 15 plate VAG stuff and had nothing flagged? Maybe its a system when they dig for it they find???

Many thanks

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
@Boxbrownie

Yeah have heard this but have tuned loads of 14 and now 15 plate VAG stuff and had nothing flagged? Maybe its a system when they dig for it they find???

Many thanks

Anthony, It is, during routine servicing just plugging in will miss the modding info (unless of course it flags normal OBD errors), but Audi have issued instructions for dealers to scan for the measures that can cause TD1 issues, the car is then flagged as TD1 on the service record and can only be "cleaned" online from Audi.

Several owners in the Audi forums have had this issue, I say several its actually many!

If your lucky a lot of mechanics just cannot be bothered to do the addition scan and the owner gets away with it, but if there is a warranty issue the additional scan is part of the investigation.

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I think I'd file the EBay item under "snake oil"... and leave my hard-earned where it is. :rolleyes:

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
@Anthony/GAD
TD1%20flagging%201_zpstop4ujoy.jpg

TD1%20flagging_zps8npnpjrh.jpg

Top Bottom