Centre display screen gone blank

JLP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 222CDi Estate 2008
Just bought a C220CDI 2008 2 week ago.Just fine.Two days ago the central dispaly screen just fadded out. All my audio and sat nav are practically unusable without a display. Only having the car a short while and not having such a modern complex vehicle before would there be a sequence on knobs or buttons to use to retore the picture. I have managed to locate the fuse and checked all ok. Should there be anything else I can do before the the visit to the local MB dealer?
Is this a common fault with this car or am I just unlucky. Would a replacement repair be expensive?
Looking for any help here. many thanks.
John

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
I cant remember seeing another 204 on here with a faulty screen. There have been some on other models, but I guess it needs someone who knows about these things to check it out. I would guess that an MB Dealership would replace rather than repair, but it really need to be properly investigated to find the best course of action.

Malcolm (Television) might have some suggestions on this one.......

Ernie

Picpan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C Class 200 CDI Blue Efficiency
Just got mine back after over 2 weeks in the dealership!! See my earlier post asking the very same question. At first they said it was the wiring loom which had been 'pinched' (Not Stolen!)......then they ordered a new one from the manufacturer as Mercedes don't stock them! After that failed they ended up replacing the display unit and I got my car back this afternoon.
It may be becoming a more common fault than what I was first told.
Mine was replaced under a warranty I got with the car only 3 months ago (not Merc Warranty). Car just out of its 3 year warranty.
Good luck.:neutral:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Something that perhaps we must look out for now

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see that Actronics now repair the 204 cluster:D

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Ive recently noticed that mine won't fold out when the car is started, and the button on the lid does not work as it should... maybe it is related? I will keep an eye on it... Still no luck with my roof console -_-

OP
J

JLP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, here is an update so far with my broken control screen, many thanks for all your comments.
I have removed the unit from the car with the very helpful video's posted on U Tube. It was all very simple and took only about 15 minutes to remove. There was nothing noticeable, all leads were in place.
I am now looking out for a repair or a replacement screen. It comes in two parts. The screen and circuit board.
Are there any companies who can test and restore these items? Actronic's can't help.
In the last resort I might have to buy a new item. Other than MB is there any were else I could try first?
cheers
John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do ask Maple Audio

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Did you purchase the car from a dealer?
Surely if you had, then in such a short time frame then it is their responsibility to repair it.

OP
J

JLP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all.
I will try Maple. cheers

It was a private purchase, very happy with the deal and condition and price, thinks I am a little unlucky, surely the fault could have happened at any time.

I will get a resolution with help and support and hope to share my experience.

Just got a price from MB for a new command display HOLD ON NOW £983

John

Picpan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C Class 200 CDI Blue Efficiency
There were a few on Fleabay.....you could try there?

OP
J

JLP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi,

This is an update with the problem with my command control screen. Have now decided to replace the screen after numourous checks. Ordered a replacement one and the wrong one came even after giving the part number. Still waiting for a replacement.
Stull hopeful of a fix with replacement part.

Will update when I can
John

OP
J

JLP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It has taken a while to find a replacement part. I hope there is one in the post on the way to me now. Let you know what happens.
John

OP
J

JLP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
A final result. I managed to get a replacement part A2048204197, fitted in the car in ten minutes and all working well. I know the part was second hand but fingers crossed I have managed to do the job at 25% of the cost MB would have charged. A good feeling.
I will hold onto my old part in the hope a company will soon be on the market to repair.
U Tube very helpful with the method of replacement of the part.

Regards
John

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom