Cheap cure for excessive oil consumption?

Terminator

Reaction score
Since buying it in August 1994 with 86,000 miles on the clock, my 1991 124 300CE (SOHC) had been consuming about a litre of oil every 1000 miles which is just within MBenz tolerances but a pain as I cover about 2500 miles a month on business. According to the service book it had always been filled with Castrol 10w40 Magnatex (semi synthetic) and was fitted with Beru sparkplugs.
At its recent service I changed the engine oil to Delphi 10w40 semi synthetic (MB approved) and switched the sparkplugs to NGKs. Before the engine oil was changed I flushed it using Wynns Engine Flush.
I have now driven 2000 miles since this service and it has not consumed any oil! I am not sure whether it is a consequence of the engine flush, change of oil, change of sparkplugs or a combination of these, but thought it worth sharing my findings.

squealinneil

Reaction score
I had a similar experience a few years ago.
The first 190E 2.5-16 I had used oil at an alarming rate. So much in fact that I was pretty sure, inspite of no leaks or smoke, that something serious was amiss. I can't remember what I switched from & to but it made an astonishing difference.
Need to get oilman on the job for this one.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
A difficult one this, because I cant see that the changes youve made should effect anything. Your using a similar grade oil which I would expect to burn / leak etc. at a similar rate and the only effect I can think that the change of plugs would make is if either the old or new ones were missing! did you perform any other repairs at the same time and what does the new oil look like - its not getting the volume made up by fuel by any chance is it?

Mark.

OP
T

Terminator

Reaction score
In response to MLC's reply, there appears to be no petrol mixed in with the oil. The Delphi (not Carlube as previously posted) 10W40 is slightly lighter in colour to the Castrol Magnatex but appears to have the same viscocity.
My theory is that as the previous owner used the car for short stop start journeys there was a build up of deposits within the engine causing a 'bridge' to be formed and the oil to be be partly diverted off its normal route and burnt. Its just a theory of course and perhaps the engine flush dissolved these deposits, restoring oil flow to normal?

LNM

Reaction score
Are these engine flush chemicals ok? They always seem a bit dodgy; like will they clean things a bit too hard + potentially cause leaks?Never having brken an engine with one, I'm unable to say otherwise.

:?:

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
My 300CE never needed any oil between services, and I only used normal
mineral oil.

OP
T

Terminator

Reaction score
pascal said:
My 300CE never needed any oil between services, and I only used normal
mineral oil.

I trust the mineral oil was not a contributing factor to its trip to MB Heaven?!

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
GONE TO MB HEAVEN

No terminator :lol: , It went of fire Stephens night. The battery was the
cause, according to forensic's. It did a lot of damage to my house too.
House was empty, thats the main thing.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
I was once told by a mechanic, its not worth doing an oil change WITHOUT engine flush.

bruiserbruce

Reaction score
300 103 motors wear guides. Bound to need replacing at 100,000 miles. In Australia we get a local oil which is sae15/W60. It does get hot in summer here.

sooper coop

Reaction score
My 300 used to do a litre every 1000, since the maintenance service it's stopped completely and had the flush. Having said that Ive done 3k in since owning it, since October, I have spent £500 on it, £120 Tyres, £40 Mot, £340 Service.

It also runs so much better and uses a wee bit less fuel -I'm using Magnatex as well.

Oddly, Driving it in Sport Mode it seems to use a bit less fuel. not that I bought it for mpg...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom