Cheap Garage

JonFB

Reaction score
Bit of a boring one this, so feel free to turn away now :)

So, now I have for the first time in my life a car I care about, and more specifically a dark coloured one that shows the dirt... my mind has turned to ways of keeping my estate in reasonably dust free condition.

Twice now I have religeously taken it to the jet wash (no car wash for me), and then pulled up afterwards and spent fifteen minutes with a chamois mopping up all the water drops.

Proudly drive home thru town happy in my shiny beautiful motor, and park up.

Next morning I sit in the car and have to put the wash/wipe on as there is so much dust on the windscreen (and my lovely paintwork).

So I don't have a handy wall for a car port, so started looking at these cheapish "tents" on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3mx6m-Heavy-D...0QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20499QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then I thought, maybe I can do better and found this site with a "proper" garage which is made of metal:
http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/yar1017gar

Which is only £600 quid.

Question is - what kind of environment would this be for a car with water based paint, i.e. wouldn't I just get loads of condensation in it...

Should I continue to park on the grass until I can save up the money for a timber garage e.g:
http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/tra1610gdx

Which is another £1k.

Or should I not even bother with that and wait for a lottery win for a brick built one???

Maybe I should just revert to a car cover for £50 quid, it's just I thought I wouldn't bother putting it on every night, whereas just pulling into a tent or "garage" would actually happen...

Sorry this is a long one, just wondeing whether those metal garages are huge no, no's...

Cheers,

Jon
PS For the benefit of c250 turbo diesel, I will be reading any replies (even if I don't make another posting immediately!!! :lol: )

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I wouldn't think a metal one would do the car any good at all due to the condensation which you mention.

Like the tents, never seen those before :)

Another alternative (and cheaper than brick) would be block & render, which I'm doing here at the moment.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As daveenty, you cant use metal as it sweats, with ice on one side you will have codensation on the inside, if you have ever been camping the canvas one is as bad. wooden garages are very good, quite warm, the insulation value on timber is 0 regarding the U value, that means its quite good
This is expensive but very modern.

http://www.onzza.com/

Click on car ports,price 16900kr = £1200
there are cheaper ones in the UK.

Malcolm

turnipsock

Reaction score
daveenty said:
block & render

Is that breeze blocks and stuff?

if so, that's what I'm going to try and do. I'm fed up working outside, it would also mean I don't have to put my tools away when I get fed up.

OP
JonFB

JonFB

Reaction score
Many thanks Malcolm, luuv that modern one if I lived somewhere else, trouble is I have a tiny but ancient cottage and I don't reckon that would blend in:
CottageFrontMedium.jpg
Listening to your wise advice, it looks like I best do this properly and get the timber one...unless anyone knows roughly what a breeze block garage would cost?

Thank you again.

Jon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
turnipsock said:

if so, that's what I'm going to try and do. I'm fed up working outside, it would also mean I don't have to put my tools away when I get fed up.

Yes block and render means that, though these days there are many types of insulating light weight blocks.

Malcolm

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
turnipsock said:
...err...Malcom, about that link you posted...

http://www.onzza.com/media/popvideo2.asp

can you translate what is going on?

looks good, perhaps an addition to mercedes already somewhat technilogically advanved car seats, not only heated, ventilated, and provide a vary of massaging options but now complete with toilet and ass washing and drying facilities all whilst driving.
perhaps they should intergrate the controls into the multi function steering wheel and lingtronic

Last edited:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
turnipsock said:

Not actual breeze blocks as such, but insulated (Thermalite) blocks, rendered outside in a cement base coat then top coated and painted, or possibly pebble dashed. Depends on the budget after the roller door, tiled floor and electrics.

Inside will be insulated with fire retardent plaster boarding, then probably skimmed over and painted.

Should be relatively inhabitable when finished...probably have to be when I've added all the costs up :)

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
JonFB. Love the cottage.

The only way to go is the timber. Metal and the tent job both sweat particularly if no base.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom