Cherished Reg Transfer

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2002 & C350 CDI 2010
Hi all

Trying to get my head around this. Bear with as this may get confusing!!
Buying another car and want to put my reg on it from my van.

Can i transfer my reg onto a car that i dont own, online using the 16# on the other vehicles logbook (i know i can do that bit £80) and then send the New Owner section of that log book off?

Or do i have to register car in my name, get the new logbook and then swap the registrations over.

I know as soon as you hit the "update" button online it will create a new logbook to be sent, but guessing if i swap plates before its in my name this will be addressed to the old owner.

I would then have to send the new logbook off from his name to mine

Just wondering how dealers get around it when you go to buy a new car thats not in your name and they swap the reg from your old one while you sit there?

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Just put it on retention and transfer to your new car when you're ready.

If you transfer to a car you don't own or sell a car before transferring a plate you stand a good chance of losing it as the rights to the plate number goes to the new owner.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
As above, put the plate on retention & you will be given a new plate for your car. When you have your new car, put your plate on it. It's all done on line and is very easy & quick.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Also as above, doesn't cost you any more, still £80.00 :)

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2002 & C350 CDI 2010
Your stars. Thanks so much

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I bough a car on a private plate about 20 years ago. Then you couldn't transfer straight to another private plate, not sure about now.
This was going to cost me 3 amendments to my insurance policy, & there was a charge each time.
As a police officers at the time I was aware you could insure your car against the chassis number, which I did.
About 6 months later I received a call from the insurance company, they were not sure what they had insured with me.
They then amend my private plate at no cost.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom