Classic Restoration - 450 SLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Berry

Reaction score
I am shortly to buy a 450 SLC which, on close inspection, needs a fair bit of restorative work.  The major problem relates to the boot, which due to damaged seals, is taking on water and consequently has extensive rust damage.  The present owner thinks that I could easily attempt to remedy this and sure up the rust damage.  Does anyone know how I should tackle this ? I think that I need new seals on the whole car.  It will also need a full service (needing oil change, brake fluid replacement, anti-freeze, engine steam cleam etc).  Further the front seat backs do not lock into place as they should on these cars ?  Does anyone know of a good garage for the job in the south east ?
I hope that I am not being mad in buying this car !!!

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score
Classic Restoration

Is the the same car that had the suspect mileage? I think I can hear the sound of £20 notes escaping from your wallet as I type!

It is very easy to let a car like the SLC seduce you into making a bad decision. Until they're completely knackered, they are a lovely driving experience. I think you need to take a cold shower, and have a good hard think about this. There are good SLCs on the market, and it's worth hunting out a good one. Buying a bad one can be a very painfull experience.

I suggest you buy the best you can possibly find. If this is more than you can afford, then don't buy at all. The cost of a bad one will soon make the really good one seem cheap.

OP
D

Dan Berry

Reaction score
Classic Restoration

Thanks Neil !
I have actually (in the last 5 mins.) actually bought the car so I hope that it all works out.  It is essentially in good condition and has been pretty thoroughly checked by someone who knows what he is doing ! It does need some work but I expected that and hope to get some good years of enjoyment from it.  Do you own an SLC ?

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score
Classic Restoration

No, I don't have an SLC, but did have a 380SL.

I'm pleased you've had the car checked out. Good luck, and hope you enjoy the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom