CLK230K Exhaust manifold

Kevin Wilson

New Registration
Reaction score
I own a 2000 spec CLK230K, it has full history and has covered 85000 miles since new. In October 2004 I took my vehicle into dealer because I thought the exhaust was very noisey. It subsequently cost me over £1000 to have a new exhaust manifold fitted as the original had cracked. Took my car into the dealer yesterday 01/08/2006 because of a noisey exhaust to be told that the exhaust manifold that was fitted in 2004 had now cracked and they want £1000 to carry out repair. Has anyone else come across problems with cracked manifolds. Mercedes benz are reluctant to contribute towards the repair cost, I think there must be a fault in design. Any comments would be appreciated.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Is it a cast iron manifold?

Personally I think 2 years is about 10% of what a manifold should last. Don't let them bull**** you with any "oh 2 years is about right" claptrap. Where has it cracked?

Oh and don't bother with the dealer. The only thing they can do that another garage can't is charge you lots of money (for what seems to be poor service).

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I have heard of these cracking before. I believe they are a welded pressed steel construction, and they can be welded up as a lower cost repair, and seem to last reasonably well when repaired - well, if it lasts 2 years its as good as a new one!! If you do decide to have it welded, get it done in situ, cos if you take it off and do it, it probably won't go back on again.

jasonbelcher

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my CLK 320. One local garage wouldn't touch it (we've been on the phone to MB and they say it is a 2 day job) and another were talking about a day to get it off (engine jacked up etc) and repair it. My brother is a mechanic I trust and he offered to have a look. He had removed it, welded it and replaced it within 90 minutes. It seemed to come off (with a bit of jiggling) fairlly easily and has been fine ever since.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom