CLK320 Is At Last Running Great

SAABfan

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK320 Elegance
Having had my CLK320 for 18 months, it' never ran that well, shutting down cylinders above 3000rpm.

I replaced the MAF, Spark Plugs and fuel pump but still it wouldn't run right.

This morning I tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and it looks to be fixed. :D

Below is the procedure that I followed. Think it's been posted on here and other forums, but this worked a treat. Took the car for a run and it rev's right up to the red line with no hesitation. :cool:

CLK ECU Reset Procedures

*** I highly recommend you take your ECU to a dealer to clear any faults. ****

The difference between having the dealer "reset your ECU and you doing it is that the dealer only clears the faults the ECU has on memory, when you reset your ECU, it must basically re-calibrate itself and learn about all your car's systems from scratch.

Preparation Steps:

1. Make sure your steering wheel is not turned to either side.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed
4. Make sure your parking brake is released
6. Turn off your stereo.
7. Make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code
8. Turn off your heat/AC blower
9. Turn off your lights
10. Make sure your doors are UNLOCKED.
11. READ THE WHOLE PROCEDURE BEFORE GETTING STARTED

Reset Steps:
Open your trunk and disconnect the negative side of your battery, wait 30 seconds and re-connect it back.

Post-Reset Steps

Turn the key to position 2 (DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE)

1. Resetting your windows: You only have ONE shot at this so you must not screw up. Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down. This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory. Do the same closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg. by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU

3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code. If you don’t have it. You can forget about listening to the radio.

4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then down

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions; your ABS and ESP systems must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT. Then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on... you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Hope this helps, and remember, do this at your own risk. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY THING I MAY HAVE OMMITTED. ANY THOUGTHS AND CRITICS ARE WELCOME. Also if you go ahead with this procedure. Post how everything went on this thread.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom