Control arm/ Wishbone

230ceBruno

Reaction score
I am looking to change the Wishbones and motor mounts on my w124 coupe and I am condidering some non MB manufacturers.

I am considering Leomforder, Febi bilstein and meyle. Does anyone have experince with these?

Which is the best.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
230ceBruno

I think you will find they all manufacture parts for Mercs.

I would always buy from the Merc dealer as I am guaranteed that any mods that have been subsequently incorporated into the part (and they are always evolving, for eg. the various rear suspension links were upgraded to 210 model spec even after the W124 went out of production) will be a feature of the part I buy. (always take your VIN)

Why do you want to change the wishbones ?

Any connection to your previous post regarding a need for a lower suspension ?
It would be a good time to change the pads whilst the suspension is apart.

Did you see my late answer to you regarding the pads and how to identify them ????????

OP

230ceBruno

Reaction score
Originally by KTH286 Did you see my late answer to you regarding the pads and how to identify them ????????

Thanks all got it, I decided it'll be the right time to change them when I saw the diagram from Malcolm on the RU website.:)

More comments pls if anyone has them.

Last edited:

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all got it, I decided it'll be the right time to change them when I saw the diagram from Malcolm on the RU website.:)

More comments pls if anyone has them.
I would say bilstein, but as someone asked why change the wishbones?

OP

230ceBruno

Reaction score
........why change the wishbones?

I am experiencing some clonking and loose steering....indie suggested ball joints and wishbone bushes but wishbones come with all that.

Originally posted by eric242340 I would say bilstein,

When you say bilstein you mean "febi bilstein"?

I don't know if they are the same as the shock and spring supplier. Do you have experience of related supension products from any of the manufacturers I mentioned?

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I am experiencing some clonking and loose steering....indie suggested ball joints and wishbone bushes but wishbones come with all that.

When you say bilstein you mean "febi bilstein"?

I don't know if they are the same as the shock and spring supplier. Do you have experience of related supension products from any of the manufacturers I mentioned?
You can buy the wishbone bushings and have an indie change them (needs special tooling for this). and the lower joint is a press fit too. You dont need to buy the whole wishbone, just extra cost for nothing. Companies like bilstein supply Benz, so nothing to worry about there. Benz dont make all their own parts, they buy in. Sometimes they have parts manufactured and shipped in like the ABS units made in the Phillipines, and most of them whent wrong. But Bilstein have a very good name. I would take your indies advice if i were you but dont change the wishbones.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I replaced my complete lower wishbones because of slight wear in the bushes the bush kits were about a third of the price of the complete wishbone. The Bushes to replace are an absolute pig even if you have the correct tooling (reminded me of my old Cortina void bushes). It worked out cheaper to replace the whole arm.
If yours is the same as mine the lower wishbones have no balljoints on they are separate items, the only consumable parts on my lower wishbones were the inner bushes.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
I replaced my complete lower wishbones because of slight wear in the bushes the bush kits were about a third of the price of the complete wishbone. The Bushes to replace are an absolute pig even if you have the correct tooling (reminded me of my old Cortina void bushes). It worked out cheaper to replace the whole arm.
If yours is the same as mine the lower wishbones have no balljoints on they are separate items, the only consumable parts on my lower wishbones were the inner bushes.
Sorry but your wrong here, the lower wishbone is one unit and both busshings and the lower swivel joint are press fit. Hence no need to change the whole wishbone;)

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
And as an after thought, ive never seen in my life, a lower control arm with no swivel joint:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry but your wrong here, the lower wishbone is one unit and both busshings and the lower swivel joint are press fit. Hence no need to change the whole wishbone;)

bigasotonuk gave his reason as to why he changed them, why argue over this.

Malcolm

lakeside

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124/1996/280
On a 124, if both the balljoint and the control arm bushings need replacing, it's cheaper to replace the whole arm, as it comes with bushes and balljoint fitted, and takes less time.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
On a 124, if both the balljoint and the control arm bushings need replacing, it's cheaper to replace the whole arm, as it comes with bushes and balljoint fitted, and takes less time.
Thats a matter of location, here its cheaper to do a repair than change the whole unit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thats a matter of location, here its cheaper to do a repair than change the whole unit.

You said eric that you do not have 124,s in china, ???????????????:confused:

Malcolm

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
malcolm

Any number of Mercs use the wishbone design, not just 124's.

OP

230ceBruno

Reaction score
My indie did say changing ball joints and the associated bushings are a female dog to fit thats part of the reason for new wishbones. Isn't there a corresponding labour charge for something thats that much of an f-dog??

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Just for information the 202s lower balljoint is separate assembly as shown here,

http://www.detali.ru/cat/MB/B33030000022.0784.gif

the only replacement parts are the inner bushes and are a pain to replace, The new bushes £20, removal replace lower arm £20 labour, new lower arm £60. With garage hourly rates and though the garage would fix a price for removal and refitting of the arm wouldnt fix the price to replace the bushes.
So best option i believed was to replace the complete assembly.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
bigasotonuk

Whilst both 124 and 202 uses wishbones the suspension layout is different and so your experience is not necessarily applicable.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
On the 124/140/220/221 models the repairs to the lower control arms are basically the same.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom