Dazzling Headlights.

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
Why are modern car headlights so bright and the beams not focused only to blind on coming motorists and pedestrians alike???

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
LED lights should be banned and/or redesigned, way too many are as you say dazzling at best and blinding at worst.
Great to drive behind, horrible to be on the receiving end :(

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
The Intelligent LED lights on the CLS were absolutely brilliant ( pun intended!) and I never once got a flash from another driver.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
I believe the government is looking at them for exactly that reason. The lights in the W213 are astounding. Did a test with dad sometime ago him coming the other way, and he wasn't dazzled. Guess its down to the Manufacturer on how good they are but agreed, some are dreadfully bright. As s5tuart, I've never been flashed either oooooerrr missus.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was driving back from Fraisthorpe Beach on Sunday in my friends Passat estate (not my low SLK) and there was a newish T6 Transporter a couple of cars behind. His LED lights kept flashing blue in my mirrors when turning or going over dips/traffic “calming” etc. was quite disconcerting as you think there’s an emergency vehicle wanting past you.
I’ve see other VeeDub’s with them and they’re really annoying.
Those who fit chinesium aftermarket LED’s that spread light pollution everywhere should be forced to stare at them for 8hrs straight without blinking… :oops::rolleyes::eek:

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Some do it better than others but, they are generally silly and one that really stands out for me is a Nissan, can’t recall if it was a newish quashqai or xtrail, but it’s a Nissan SUV thing and they are brutal for the recipient. Porsche are the only ones that stand out for me not causing any bother.

I doubt many would flash nowadays as we’ve come to expect such brightness despite irritation, so unless you don’t have the full beams deliberately, it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some do it better than others but, they are generally silly and one that really stands out for me is a Nissan, can’t recall if it was a newish quashqai or xtrail, but it’s a Nissan SUV thing and they are brutal for the recipient. Porsche are the only ones that stand out for me not causing any bother.

I doubt many would flash nowadays as we’ve come to expect such brightness despite irritation, so unless you don’t have the full beams deliberately, it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree about the flashing (or lack of) I’ve inadvertently left both the smart and SLK full head on a couple of times and not been flashed. Both are on Halogens so I’m presuming those coming towards me didn’t see them as any worse than the regular LED dipped beams…:oops:

Reactions: DSK

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
The Intelligent LED lights on the CLS were absolutely brilliant ( pun intended!) and I never once got a flash from another driver.

Same for my GLC

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My bitch is the height of headlights on SUV's compared to the rear window and rear view mirror on "normal" cars (my S204 for example). Soon as they're behind you, quite possibly doing their normal crawl up the tailpipe trick, their lights are so high they are straight into my rear view mirror and my eyes, and even flicking my HI rear fogs on does not make them back off - so when their impatience makes them overtake they get my main beams for a while as I get forgetful about dimming them...:p:p:p:p

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My bitch is the height of headlights on SUV's compared to the rear window and rear view mirror on "normal" cars (my S204 for example). Soon as they're behind you, quite possibly doing their normal crawl up the tailpipe trick, their lights are so high they are straight into my rear view mirror and my eyes, and even flicking my HI rear fogs on does not make them back off - so when their impatience makes them overtake they get my main beams for a while as I get forgetful about dimming them...:p:p:p:p

Done that before now, unfortunately Money Pit's high beams are as good as side lights on any other car :shock:

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Why the ultra bright lights in densely populated country?
Speed limits have not changed since 1970s and many are actually lower.
In 1970s to late 1999 I use to drive around 35K miles a year and never had a problem with standard lights at the time.
SUVs vans etc and BMW Mini are particularly bad.
'Never been flashed' I have flashed only to be met with a barrage of even more blinding lights.
I believe there is a government enquiry going about car lights.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom