Depreciation

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of statistics to bolster weak arguments, "one of the best, and best-known" critiques of applied statistics.[2] It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

The phrase was popularized in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli.[1] However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Several other people have been listed as originators of the quote, and it is often attributed to Twain himself

House of Commons document .
... must be true then.

I've not bothered to check, but.... that says it all

It's my fault and I apologise.
I think we all understand what "Lies, damned lies, and statistics” is about but thanks for the clarification.;)

Why don’t you back up your statements, about how we have polluted the world, with some references.

Pooh poohing my references is weak argument and lazy.:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If the UK was nett zero, it would make no significant difference to global warming (assuming CO2 is truly the main problem).
And if everyone thought that we'd all be doomed.
As with everything it has to start somewhere.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
And if everyone thought that we'd all be doomed.
As with everything it has to start somewhere.

That is not my thinking it is a fact.

Nett Zero It is well underway in the UK and individuals are footing the bill.

Perhaps owning fewer polluting cars would help the environment. ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That is not my thinking it is a fact.

Nett Zero It is well underway in the UK and individuals are footing the bill.

Is that a dig at the fact I own 4 cars?
I can only drive one at a time so number owned is irrelevant.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Is that a dig at the fact I own 4 cars?
I can only drive one at a time so number owned is irrelevant.

"Is that a dig at the fact I own 4 cars?"

No not at all.

It is certainly a dig at your comment about us having to start somewhere to reduce pollution. Particularly, if one drives any vehicle that is a polluter by today’s standards. :);) Clean air and all that old chap.

I said that 1.1% of the world emission from UK is insignificant, you said we have to start somewhere - just saying......perhaps we need to get rid of our polluters.

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK200 coupe (now gone) 2011 R230 SL350 2014 C220 estate

Perhaps making and selling fewer cars whilst maintaining and repairing all the cars already made would also have a positive effect on the environment. (IMHO)

It’s also a fact that someone needs to own the cars already made. LK - owning more than one isn’t going to harm the environment as you can only drive one at a time

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"Is that a dig at the fact I own 4 cars?"

No not at all.

It is certainly a dig at your comment about us having to start somewhere to reduce pollution. Particularly, if one drives any vehicle that is a polluter by today’s standards. :);) Clean air and all that old chap.

I said that 1.1% of the world emission from UK is insignificant, you said we have to start somewhere - just saying......perhaps we need to get rid of our polluters.
Did I buy a new polluting car?
No.
Did I replace a car that wasn't end of life?
No.
Do I use them for frequent trips as a single occupant? No.

For the past three years I have pushed to work from home and now commute 1 day per month.
My carbon footprint vehicle wise is negligible. I've started somewhere.

Around the house we use solar powered out door lights. Our pool (France) is heated by solar water panels. Our security system is solar powered. We recently upgraded to a new high efficiency boiler (our property is not suitable for heat pumps due too insufficient radiator capacity or places to fit them).

It's easy to be critical when you don't know the full story.

What have you done to reduce your carbon footprint?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Did I buy a new polluting car?
No.
Did I replace a car that wasn't end of life?
No.
Do I use them for frequent trips as a single occupant? No.

For the past three years I have pushed to work from home and now commute 1 day per month.
My carbon footprint vehicle wise is negligible. I've started somewhere.

Around the house we use solar powered out door lights. Our pool (France) is heated by solar water panels. Our security system is solar powered. We recently upgraded to a new high efficiency boiler (our property is not suitable for heat pumps due too insufficient radiator capacity or places to fit them).

It's easy to be critical when you don't know the full story.

What have you done to reduce your carbon footprint?
You jumped in & commented (IMO out of context when I said the effort toward reduction of emissions in the UK will have zero effect globally), I responded.

I was not being critical and merely suggested that you could get rid of polluting cars (or aren’t they) (that are used to travel to and from France in ;)).

Re your question on my efforts, we were consciously working reducing our carbon footprint years before it became trendy to do so. I won’t bore you with the details however, kudos for your efforts.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can suggest whatever you like but I can tell you I'm not taking any notice of your suggestions.

As for France... Suck it up buttercup.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom