E Class 300TD - fuel starvation after B service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linley

Reaction score
My 1998 E Class 300TD Estate has done just under 60,000 miles, just over half with me over 3 years. Glow plugs replaced under warranty at 28,000. Prompt and regular services. Excellent strong but smooth performance; I am a "light footer" and only use kick down once or twice a week for the sheer fun of acceleratingfrom 40 to 70 mph - superb. Averages 35-37 mpg with a fair amount of motorway use on CC.

Put in for a B service 3 days ago to local independent who did A service last year. I ordered extra work items - new main fuel filter, new coolant/antifreeze, new brake fluid,new battery (original going off after 6.5 years) and new charcoal filters. AC gas was checked - reported OK. The bill included injector cleaner.

Garage delivered car back to me through country lanes so I did not use it till next day. I thought the acceleration was a bit weak setting off but, when the engine had warmed up, the acceleration was definitely poor - engine sounded "breathy". Kickdown from 40 mph was abysmal - very pronounced lag but turbo came in - slow to get to ,60/70 mph. Went back to garage but boss and mechanic who did work were not in so agreed to take it back Monday a.m.

What has likely happened ? Air leaks around new fuel filter, dirt or water in the injection system or what ? The garage will do its best to sort it as the boss also has an E300TD altho an older model.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like it has got something to do with the air intake, doesn?t sound like air in the fuel system.

OP
L

linley

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I omitted to say that there was no engine management report on the dash display.

190 was in the right area. Took the car in to the garage this a.m, the boss drove me home along a main road to test the kick down - he agreed immediately that the car was not right. He delivered it back within the hour with an apology and a bottle of whisky ( not my tipple but a generous gesture). He had the mechanic take him step by step thro what he had done in the service until the answer emerged. The lad had removed an under engine cover plate on the near side during the service - when replacing it, he had pushed up a pipe to the blower and put a kink in it - a stenosis - thus constricting the air flow. With pipe straightened, performance was back to normal. So, we learn something every day.

piestore

Reaction score
lack of power

HI

Not wishing to be synical, but I dont believe the explanation given to you, there arn't any pipes around there to be kinked, any way aslong as its fixed thats OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom