E200 alarm problems

JamesNeil

Reaction score
I am having problems with the alarm system on my 1997 petrol E200 estate car and I really hope someone can help me. I can unlock the car with the remote key fob and drive away, sometimes the alarm will activate as I am driving - usually within 30 seconds - but sometimes it does not and I can carry on. Sometimes the alarm activates before I have even had time to drive off but either way it takes ages to stop the alarm. I have tried using the key fob which makes no difference at all, I have stopped the car and switched of the engine, I have taken the key out of the ignition and tried again, I have started the engine with the doors open, I have even opened and closed all the doors including the boot but nothing seems to stop the alarm. There is obviously no immobiliser fitted as I can still drive with the alarm sounding and the hazard lights flashing. I have noticed that the red light under the rear view mirror is no longer flashing, it is now just the green one that is flashing. I rang my local MB dealer and asked for their advice but the very friendly chap in the service dept. could only tell me that there was indeed some kind of fault. This is getting to be kind of embarrassing and I am sure that my neighbours hate me, I dread the time that it decides to "go off" when I am sitting in a traffic jam in the middle of a city! I read through pages of this forum and see that there is a small extra key just for the alarm siren but I do not have one of these. Any advice would be so gratefully received as my distrust of this alarm system is making me really nervous of using my car.
So sorry this post is so long, stress seems to make me write a lot!

rajinder_1

Reaction score
try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and reconnect that would reset the alarm, also check your battery has enough power in it.

Regards

Raj

OP
J

JamesNeil

Reaction score
Thank you Raj for taking the trouble to reply to my appeal for help, I really appreciate it. I did what you advised but it made no difference so I tried my old key fob with old batteries, which amazingly stopped the alarm. I have no idea why but this old key fob is actually working and I can use my car again. Now I am worried about when the batteries run out but at least I have time for experimenting. Thank you again Raj, it was very kind of you to respond and I appreciate it.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom