E320 CDI Cold Starting

normano

Reaction score
Just got my 2001 E320 cdi back from servicing and now it wont start in the morning. It runs for 2-3 seconds, just to get your hopes up, then dies and requires considerable cranking (five to six attempts at least)! Never had a starting problem before. Mercedes dealer replaced two glow plugs at the service. It might just be my imagination but the fuel consuption seems to have got worse. Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem? Thanks.

Last edited:

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Advice...

Its just had service, now it's broken down...you need to call Mobilo in to sort it out, they will organize getting it back to dealer and sorting out problem. It clearly only arises after the service. Of course you could call the dealer to come and sort it, any self respecting dealer would want to sort it out quickly.

As a comment, why only replace two glow plugs? Why not all of them because once some go they will all go in a relatively short time and it's a bit of a bind to get at them. The other 4 will go before long?

However I don't think glow plugs would cause your problem...more like either a filter or other problem, such as the filter body not back right and letting air into the system or a blocked filter cutting off fuel. Both of these are simple fixes. Not sure about immobiliser problems, not hear much about them being trouble. I have 92k up and not had any starting problems.

OP
N

normano

Reaction score
Olaf, thanks for the reply. It's going back into the dealer. Great point about replacing all the glow plugs at the same time. I've now had them all replaced in ones and twos over the last year and its cost a fortune in labour. Shame MB dealer didn't recommend doing them all at the same time!

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Thanks for that.

Let me know how you get on, I know mine is running alittle unevenly att he momnent, not sure why. Glowplugs I know are ok. The uneveness happens after the engine warms up.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom