E320 Cdi lack of pwer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ployters

Reaction score
We have a 2001 E320 Cdi that has been running just fine, however recently it lacks power. This means that it doesnt kick down at any speed and the revs are liimted to about 3000rpm. When in neutral the engine will not rev above 3000 either. The problem was intermittent and I would suddenly get full power back but it seems to be getting worse. Is this a blocked fuel injector?

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi

You need to get the fault codes checked. The one thing you can do your self is check the air filter. The filters don't last as long as they should & I have had experience where the filter is that blocked that its being sucked up into the the engine. If not then they fault codes & live data will need to be inspected.

Regards

Andy@ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
P

ployters

Reaction score
I'll check the codes, but i suspect it'll be one of those that doesn't prduce an error, like a blocked injector. I will check the air filter hoewever, for sure. Interestingly enough we have had full power back for the last 2 days! since I wrote this. It is down to the ability to rev above 3000, simple as that, which says air or fuel to me.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
A few things to check....
The usual filters, especially air filter if in city driving.
Diesel fuel cap venting should be checked in case the tank venting is restricted in any way...is there a loud sucking in of air when you unscrew the fuel filler cap?
There is a thing called mass air flow meter but not sure if that is in these engines too. Costly item.
Unfortunately then there is the option of electrics, computer etc.
I must admit never had any problem like that but do have an annoying flat spot that was never cured.

OP
P

ployters

Reaction score
some great suggestions, thanx. the fuel cap does suck air in a bit when opeened. we live in the country but will replace the air filter anyway but its slightly odd that it comes and goes. you would have thought if the air was blocked, it was blocked and that was that. i'll report back on my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom