E320 CDI N/S Wing Mirror

Griffo

Reaction score
My 2000 E320 CDI n/s wing mirror doesn't retract. I have taken the unit off the car and there's no visible external damage but I can see that the motor is loose/detached.

I would like to see if it can be repaired but, I just cannot work out how to get all of the internals out of the housing. I have detached the glass, so can see all the internals but I'm now stumped.

Can anyone kindly advise me how to dismantle the unit please?

cheers

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
After removing the mirror galss you will need to remove the outer plastic cover which should prise off quite easily. Once this has been removed you will see 3 screws holding the mirror mounting and drives assembly to the door frame. Remove these and then as you separate the assembly from the door you will find a multiplug assembly concealed between the door frame and mirror assembly.

The drive motors are replaceable but you may be better off buying a new or s/h unit off ebay. I bought a spare some time back just in case of accident damage, very vulnerable items and not cheap.

Hope this helps.

OP
G

Griffo

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Malcolm, I already have the unit off the vehicle and the glass out but I can't see how to get the 'guts' of the unit out of the plastic housing, to work on the motor/gears. When the unit was on the vehicle and the button on the centre console pressed, I could hear the motor working. I'm hoping that it's just come loose from it's mounting but unless I can get it all apart, I can't get any further.

Can you advise me how I get it apart please?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sorry Griffo, I havn't had any need as yet to get involved with the drives so can't really comment. If as I suspect you need to replace they do come up on ebay.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You fold the mirror towards the glass and unhook the spring.

Malcolm

OP
G

Griffo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Malcolm. The motor in my mirror is detached (broken) from the moulding and the spring doesn't seem to get tensioned or move at all.

The spring tension, nonetheless, seems pretty strong, which end should I try to unhook it?

If the 'inards' can't be repaired, can I buy replacement bits rather than a whole new mirror?

OP
G

Griffo

Reaction score
I can't get the spring off - too strong, so i've used araldite to 'fix' the motor back in position and will see how that goes. If no good, looks like I'll have to buy a whole new mirror.

OP
G

Griffo

Reaction score
I'm nearly ready to refit the mirror unit to see if my repair has worked (doubt it!) but need to know how do you refit the mirror onto the movable cradle?

Can anyone help please?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
W210 Classic O/S Door Mirror

After removing the mirror galss you will need to remove the outer plastic cover which should prise off quite easily. Once this has been removed you will see 3 screws holding the mirror mounting and drives assembly to the door frame. Remove these and then as you separate the assembly from the door you will find a multiplug assembly concealed between the door frame and mirror assembly.

The drive motors are replaceable but you may be better off buying a new or s/h unit off ebay. I bought a spare some time back just in case of accident damage, very vulnerable items and not cheap.

Hope this helps.

Read this and wondering if you had some pointers to help me to replace the mirror glass which is loosing its 'silvering' on the back so it is becoming near impossible to see anything through it.

Dosco :-(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom