E320 Estate Rear Suspension Noise

Chris Shaw

Reaction score
I live in Kenya and have just imported a second hand 1999 E 320 Estate (W210). There is a bad knocking in th rear suspension especially when it is cold. This seems to only be apparent when driving over a rough road, and is not evident when the car is rocked when stationery. I have replaced all the suspension bushes and the shocks, but I suspect that the bleeding has not been done very well. If this is the case how do I do it properly? The agents here are not very informative, but have mentioned that the vacuum cylinders might be faulty, but say it is unlikely as the cars has only done just over 40,000 miles. Anyone any advice please?

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
check the rear wheel radius arms.

the top links are a known weak link and don't cost much to repace.

The self levelling system doesn't need bleeding as it's not a "sealed" system and if it wasn't working properly you'd know all about it :)

Andy

OP
C

Chris Shaw

Reaction score
Rear Suspension noise E320 Estate

Andy, thanks. Unfortunately all the links and bushes have already been replaced. you say the system doesnt need bleeding, but I have located a bleed nipple in the centre of the car under the subframe. What is this for. The noise is very noticeable first thing in the morning, but when everything is warmed up and it has been going for a bit, the noise definitely reduces.....tahts why I can't help feeling its something to do with the hydraulic system. What exactly do those vacuum cylinders do, as this is what the agents here say need changing. Many thanks for your help

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I had a major problem with mine. There was a problem with exhaust hitting components too. The dealer bodged it. In the end new exhaust and new shocks. They are self levelling with lots of hydraulics. Entire susp system replaced 75k.!!!

ohm

Reaction score
I have my 1986 300TE for a few months now and am experiencing the same grinding noise when starting cold and would eventually disappear. The self levelling switch have been changed to a second hand one and is making more noise especially going over a depression on the road.

What can be possible problem, The hydraulic pump in front ? the switch ? the accumulators (probabaly never changed after 120K miles )or the struts themself ( loosks quite new to me) Am at lost to find a competent mechanic to solve this

Last edited:

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
ohm said:
I have my 1986 300TE for a few months now and am experiencing the same grinding noise when starting cold and would eventually disappear. The self levelling switch have been changed to a second hand one and is making more noise especially going over a depression on the road.

What can be possible problem, The hydraulic pump in front ? the switch ? the accumulators (probabaly never changed after 120K miles )or the struts themself ( loosks quite new to me) Am at lost to find a competent mechanic to solve this
Just look on this forum for a recommended mechanic to solve the problem. There are lots of good independents in the UK. Also any any mechanic used to hydraulic Citroens will understand the system

It's probably a bit tougher to find these people in Kenya. I's really not that difficult in the UK

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Chris,
I don't understand what you mean by "vacuum cylinders"; if you mean the spheres on the suspension units, they are gas pressurised and provide the springing medium in the suspension system , when they lose pressure the suspension will still rise to it's normal running height but will be harsh although it does improve as you describe after the system heats up due to expansion of the gas in the spheres.
I think you may be correct in that the spheres need replaced as they are at least 6 years old and it is age rather than useage that governs the gas leakage from them.

ohm

Reaction score
Bolide said:
Just look on this forum for a recommended mechanic to solve the problem. There are lots of good independents in the UK. Also any any mechanic used to hydraulic Citroens will understand the system

It's probably a bit tougher to find these people in Kenya. I's really not that difficult in the UK

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi Nick,
Sorry I didnt introduced myself properly Iam actually from Malaysia and there are not many mechanics here that is familiar with the SLS..Am trying basedon trial and error so trying to eliminate each component.

What puzzle me is what is making noise, is it the hydraulic tandem pump or the switch is faulty or not adjusted properly. Noise seem to be from the front

ohm

Reaction score
C220GJS said:
Chris,
I don't understand what you mean by "vacuum cylinders"; if you mean the spheres on the suspension units, they are gas pressurised and provide the springing medium in the suspension system , when they lose pressure the suspension will still rise to it's normal running height but will be harsh although it does improve as you describe after the system heats up due to expansion of the gas in the spheres.
I think you may be correct in that the spheres need replaced as they are at least 6 years old and it is age rather than useage that governs the gas leakage from them.

Question C220gjs ?
Does chnaging the spheres reduce the noise ? How .

Top Bottom